Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP c4501 scan to email Att U-verse

Apparently AT&T U-verse restricts scanning (ports are closed). Supposedly AT&T opened port 25 but never would work. This machine scans fine when connected to the Verizon wifi hub. But when you hook to the AT&T hub all you get is a "refused to connect by smtp server" message. (tried 2 different SMTP servers and email addresses and got the same message)

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP c4501 scan to email Att U-verse

Re: MP c4501 scan to email Att U-verse

In my opinion, AT&T Uverse is junk when it come to internet. The Motorola NVG510 that AT&T uses has numerous short comings. If you think you are having trouble doing scan to email, try setting up a VPN. Many believe that the NVG stands for Not Very Good. So much for my rant.

Back to the email issue. According to AT&T, you need to enter the set up mode on the NVG and unblock port 25. If I remember correctly, it is in the gaming settings. That gets you past the Uverse modem. You still may get blocked at the next level. AT&T used to block all standard SMTP ports at the ISP level from any scan device to anything except except their own servers. If you have a MFP that can do SMTP over SSL/TLS you can use their SMTP server. I believe the MP C4501 is one model too old. That leaves you with two choices:
    1. Use a local SMTP relay such as Stunnel.
    2. Use an email provider that can provide SMTP to port 80, the standard browser port. Godaddy's secureserver.net used to be able to use port 80 but I haven't used it in about 1 1/2 years.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The C4501 will do SSL. If it were me, I'd make a Gmail address (clientnamescanner@gmail.com) and use the gmail secure mail servers. Only program their internal email addresses into the MFD so that they don't go direct to clients from a gmail address. They can 'forward' if it needs to leave the business, I usually tell a story about a 'digital paper trail' and the ability to 'personalise a message' to go with the scanned docs. If you are doing remote support, the SSL needs to be turned on from the control panel (can't be accessed from WIM)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have used smtp2go to get around Uverse. Very simple setup.