Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar

MPC4000 double imaging

I have replaced the fuser with one that was not double imaging... If it were the ITB cleaning blade would this smear not double image? and the blk drum as well?
    replaced the fuser @ 155k , i know what double imaging is and what causes it.. but the fuser i replaced was not doing it, I realize "coincidence" could be a factor, im taking another one out tomorrow , is there anything else that cause this in the c4000/c5000 ?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MPC4000 double imaging

Quote Originally Posted by digicor View Post
    I have replaced the fuser with one that was not double imaging... If it were the ITB cleaning blade would this smear not double image? and the blk drum as well?
    replaced the fuser @ 155k , i know what double imaging is and what causes it.. but the fuser i replaced was not doing it, I realize "coincidence" could be a factor, im taking another one out tomorrow , is there anything else that cause this in the c4000/c5000 ?
    • Is it on all colours?
    • Can you do a stop test and see if it has double imaged on the transfer belt?
    • IS it rough to touch??? if so it may point to incorrect fusing...
    • Non Genuine toner can cause this, is it using Genuine toner ???
    • Also, and this tripped me up once, the customer refilled the toner bottle with toner from another bottle.... To get By!!!! mmm, both genuine toners but one had silicone oil based toner and the other did not.
    • Could be black drum, swap them and see if fault moves.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

All of the above are possibilities also:

what media are they using?

have you checked the press roller drive gears?

yes the ITB cleaner unit can cause funny problems by not cleaning the previous copy but the pattern would in theory only show on A3 - A4 less so.

print out a non default to see if the fuser settings have been altered by anyone.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4000 double imaging

Measure the distance of the offset to determine where it is coming from. The diameter of the heating roller and the PCU drums is slightly different. Only a couple of millimeters but measurably different.

Check to see if the PTR case is broken..

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts
    MPC4000 double imaging

Quote Originally Posted by digicor View Post
    Posting a pic of the issue would allow us to be way more helpful. If the double image is happening with all four colors.....ITB unit is a possibility and so is an issue with registration. Print out the Color calibration test pattern.......if colors are shifted.......might be a color registration issue and perhaps a forced line adjustment could possibly be the fix...... If it is only a double image problem with one color-----swap the PCU to isolate the issue.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com