Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Ricoh MP 7001 Tandem tray intermittent problem

Hi guys, I was at a customers earlier today. They have been seeing problems with the tandem tray 1.
    About 50% of the time when the paper on right hand side runs out instead of the paper being pushed from left hand side it doesn't move and says 'Reset tray' on screen. For me as iv seen it working sometimes and failing sometimes most obvious answers dont apply as it's intermittent.
    I didnt have time to really check anything, so just seeing if any of you have seen this problem or know of any obvious cause to this before I go there to check this problem properly. Luckily they aren't too bothered about it but I would like to see it fixed
    Thanks in advance

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP 7001 Tandem tray intermittent problem

Check the rail in the left hand tray ,make sure it is lubed ,The extra weight of the paper at times can be making it bind .Also check the pulley that drives the belt for that same tray....

There's a small white gear at the front of the tray that strips and stops the paper from moving across.
    It's been an issue for all the machines since the MP5500.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 7001 Tandem tray intermittent problem

A couple of things could be happening:
    1. There could be a bad connection between the left tray and the main frame.
    2. The could be a loose connection to one of the solenoids that open the two rear fences on the right tray. If they do not open, the paper does not move(experienced).
    3. One of the sensor that detect the rear fences open could be bad.
    4. Any other problem with the right tray that prevent one or both of the fences from opening or being detected open.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

One other thing to check is make sure the screws that hold the center rail are tightened well the can cause set tray and some other problems if loose

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
    One other thing to check is make sure the screws that hold the center rail are tightened well the can cause set tray and some other problems if loose
    I have seen MORE problems with the center rail on these tandem trays than anything else!

I was on a machine the other day...the back screw of the middle rail was missing and all of the other screws were loose...caused electrical connector mis-alignment and error to happen. Tightened up the rail, pushed both drawers back in....couldn't get them back out!...took back off machine, released catch in back...come to find out, the catch was bent out of position by about 6mm...straightened it back up, worked ok!...I didn't put blue loctite on the screws...probably should have!

DAMN RICOH!

Take a look at the connections for the tray. I've had some paper get pushed into the connections. I've also seen the paper fit too snug in the left side tray. For some reason the paper was bigger by a mm or two.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, haven't had a single chance to go there yet and try any of these but when I fix it I will let you all know what it was