copierman 250+ Posts
    mpc 7501 with java app.

mpc 7501 with java app.

Hi all.

First of all. Happy new year to all techs on here!!

Right then, I have got a call for an mpc7501 that apparently crashes when used heavily. Now the customer uses an extended feature installed on the mc that crashes ( not sure of app name as yet).

Would it be worth updating the java to latest and will this cause any issues with the application already installed. ( I have read that heap and stack sizes may be altered).

I will find out what the app is when I'm onsite and check sc codes.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Ottawatech's Avatar

Re: mpc 7501 with java app.

Bump up the heap and stack allocations, it may be worth updating Java, set the existing app to not auto-start before you do, you don't want it running while updating Java.
    I'd check with whoever supports the app to ensure it's OK with the latest Java though, just in case, but for the most part there aren't any compatibility issues.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    mpc 7501 with java app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawatech View Post
    Bump up the heap and stack allocations, it may be worth updating Java, set the existing app to not auto-start before you do, you don't want it running while updating Java.
    I'd check with whoever supports the app to ensure it's OK with the latest Java though, just in case, but for the most part there aren't any compatibility issues.
    Ottawtech is right on this, I would also see if the app has been tested and approved by Mother Ricoh............ If the app hasn't been tested by Ricoh your left with the developer for support regardless of any hardware/firmware issues........................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Use the SD card Java update tool, less chance of toasting the machine.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

copierman 250+ Posts
    mpc 7501 with java app.

Thanks for the info guys.

When I got there, it was a metis type mc that was doing this crashing not the mpc7501. I have bumped up the heap and stack sizes by 50 % on both and told the customer to monitor it.

The fault was it would come out of the app and return to the home screen. At this point the customer would press the app button again and the mc displayed "insufficient memory". So hopefully increasing the heap and stack may help. If there are other issues I will update java after checking with the vendor about compatability.

Many thanks for the responses.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential