MP CW2200 Black printhead 2 issues

Hi All.

I've read quite a few posts regarding these beasts. I've worked on HP designjets in the past and these beasts are a little bit of trouble for me.
    As yet i've not been on the Ricoh course for them but have to look after 5 of them, luckily 2 are quite far away so RUK look after them 2. There are 2 persistent problems on all these machines 1. Not loading rolls and 2. Black printhead 2 constantly losing nozzles days after flushing.
    I've read on here that some of you guys think there is a certain knack to loading the rolls and i've tried them all. The RUK engineers either say when theyve attended one for this fault that the mylar's in the paper path were bent back causing this or one recently said the magnetic clutch wasn't quite seated properly.
    Customer gets to the end of the roll and were back again at roll loading issues again.
    Last year when we first started to get blocked nozzles on the machines i suggested that we replace the maintenance unit / Service station and noted that the first time i looked at the part it was listed as £150GBP and when i wanted to order one several weeks later they had increased in price to over £900GBP.
    Now either they had been replacing these out in the field quite often which led to this or maybe a new supplier of the part wanted x amount to make them.
    I'd go for the first option. It has got to the point that our customers are moaning about how often they have to flush black printhead 2 and therfore going through more ink and costing them more money. I have noticed quite a few SP settings that may cause better cleaning both before plots and at power on may help the situation and hide that fact from the customer that it is still flushing but without them manually going through the process several times a week.
    Looking for some input if anyone has tried any of these settings at all to try and alleviate this issue?
    SP 2510, SP2517, 2520, 2521 all sound interesting and may well have to try altering them myself if no one else has already done so?
    Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: MP CW2200 Black printhead 2 issues

I have aprox 10 engines in the field, i can't complain about it, it's true when a machine is not used for 6-7 days, some print heads can get clogged, a head cleaning should solve the problem, mostly after 2-3 cleaning cycles everything is back to normal, worst case a flush cycle.

Concerning the paper, i do recommend to use paper rolls of max. length 150m, when loading a fresh roll of 175m length you can get some trouble because of the weight when the machine pulls the paper back. There's a modification for the older units, the bearings in the roll feeder can get cracket/break, same for the printhead bearing, witch in fact is the same bearing.

greetz

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MP CW2200 Black printhead 2 issues

You need to check the TSB's. I believe there is a bulletin about early print head replacement that tells you how to schedule an automatic cleaning cycle. As far as roll loading, be patient. Turn the machine off and on, let it cycle and come to ready. Without lifting up the gold guide plate, slowly start the roll into the paper path. When it grabs , let it go and don't touch anything. when it offers a cut, do it and let the machine do it's thing (it takes a while). If you notice the bottom left of the screen, it states NOT to open any covers, that includes the guide plate. If the machine is disturbed during this slow roll loading, you have to start over. Works for me anyways.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

As far as the bearings go you will know if there bad you will hear a thumping sound. Try cleaning the DRESS sensor its on the left side of the carriage if its dirty you will have loading problems