Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

J38 continuous Paper Jams in Ricoh Pro900C

Hi everybody.

I've a really serious problem when feeding A4 normal paper (80-100 grs/m2) in a Pro900C.

Basically, the paper stops always in the middle of the fusing unit, that produces a paper jam (sometimes easy to fix but other times you have to open completely the fusing unit, with all the time that that needs).

The machine gives a J38 code error, but nothing else. If the machine is in good mood, maybe it prints 2-3 sheets, but no more, only paper jams and more paper jams.
    The tech manual says to changes the data in the SP1160, from 30 mms. to 5 mms. but it didnt work. I also tried to feed from different trays, printing A4 SEF instead of LEF... nothing works.

Any idea? This is driving me crazy.

Thanks for your time and advices.
    J

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: J38 continuous Paper Jams in Ricoh Pro900C

From Goose's Guide
    D016 JAM CODE 038 Fusing exit sensor, late: Refer to bulletin # 37.. 01/12/10
    D016 JAM CODE 038 Poor transport of paper to fuser. TSB G178/D016-037. Service Ref Guide Section 7.2 01/07/11

Bulletin 037 deals with jam codes 37 and 38 due to timing errors caused by paper slipping when on the transportation belts and what you need to do to correct it.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Does it happen only with higher coverages, or even with blank sheets?

What jam codes are you getting?

EDIT: Scratch that, didn't read the topic thoroughly...
    Last edited by mrwho; 01-27-2016 at 08:59 AM.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Questions - Has this machine been sitting idle for an extended period of time (as in months and months)? How milky/cloudy looking is the Fuser Oil? The reason I ask is we had a similar problem several years back (same error code and constant jams in the Fuser Exit). The Oil, Oil Supply Tank/Filters, and Oil Pads (under Pressure Roller) all needed replacing. The oil was old and had lost its anti static qualities. The Oil Tank was discarded (5 gallon bucket with lid) with all the oil in it.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Does it happen only with higher coverages, or even with blank sheets?

What jam codes are you getting?

EDIT: Scratch that, didn't read the topic thoroughly...
    It only happens in normal paper 80/100 grs A4. The machine works correctly with thick paper or bigger formats. It doesnt matter the coverage of toner, the problem remains the same =/

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bowen View Post
    Questions - Has this machine been sitting idle for an extended period of time (as in months and months)? How milky/cloudy looking is the Fuser Oil? The reason I ask is we had a similar problem several years back (same error code and constant jams in the Fuser Exit). The Oil, Oil Supply Tank/Filters, and Oil Pads (under Pressure Roller) all needed replacing. The oil was old and had lost its anti static qualities. The Oil Tank was discarded (5 gallon bucket with lid) with all the oil in it.
    The machine works daily but we have it in a room where the temperate isnt the best, I admit it. It is winter and it is cold. Is it possible that the oil in the pressure roller gets more dense and it gets sticked to the paper avoiding it to flow correctly?.

The fuser roller and the pressure roller has been replaced some weeks ago, they havent reached a 10% of their "life"... but we didnt changed the oil pads under the pressure roller. Are they so important?

Thanks for all your replies, we are still checking what it can be. I'll let you know the results.

The Oil Pads are important as is the oil. The pads trap clay and other impurities from the paper. Like I said, I had exactly the same problem with regular stock - heavier stock was fine. You have nothing to lose by replacing the Oil, Tank and Pads - the cost of your time far out ways their expense.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

I only know the 901 (and badly) so I can't give tips on the oil part.

The short length and lack of stiffness of the paper could play a part here. Try to run a print job with the front door open and observe the paper entering the fuser to see if you can understand what's going on.

Also try to feed the paper short side first (A4S) and check if the problem persists.

Another thing I'd try would be to make some blank copies with A4 paper (on another machine if there's one nearby or on that one if A4S is successful) and right away, while the paper is still warm, print on those sheets to check if it still jams with the paper still hot from the copies.

Not a solution, but some things you can try to help you understand what's going on.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bowen View Post
    The Oil Pads are important as is the oil. The pads trap clay and other impurities from the paper. Like I said, I had exactly the same problem with regular stock - heavier stock was fine. You have nothing to lose by replacing the Oil, Tank and Pads - the cost of your time far out ways their expense.
    Hi Gary

I've finally tried to replace the oil pads and the oil. I', attaching a picture of the old oil pads, covered of impurities, dust and dirty oil in general. The truth is that they were scaring, specially when I compared them with the new ones, so white and pure.

The fact is... that it didnt worked. I still have the same paper jam problems with 80-100 grs. papers A4. The funny thing is that the machine prints well in 80-100 grs. SRA3, so the problem must be in the lenght of the paper... maybe.

Thank you for your time and advices, even when it didnt solve the problem, the oil pads totally needed a replacement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by espastech View Post
    Hi Gary

I've finally tried to replace the oil pads and the oil. I', attaching a picture of the old oil pads, covered of impurities, dust and dirty oil in general. The truth is that they were scaring, specially when I compared them with the new ones, so white and pure.

The fact is... that it didnt worked. I still have the same paper jam problems with 80-100 grs. papers A4. The funny thing is that the machine prints well in 80-100 grs. SRA3, so the problem must be in the lenght of the paper... maybe.

Thank you for your time and advices, even when it didnt solve the problem, the oil pads totally needed a replacement.
    Since the oil pads were that bad, has the ozone filter ever been changed? It is one of the fixes mentioned in the bulletin I referenced previously.