Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mpc3500 sc290

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

mpc3500 sc290

Guys, sc290 on a 3500, I know its a shutter motor or closed sensor issue, both a pain in the backside to get to (according to the manual). Its a secondary/back-up machine at a customer and the investment in the time nessesary is not possible. On some of the other models there is sp2914-007 where I think you can disable the shutter motor and remove the shutter and the problem goes away (can someone confirm this is so ?), however there is no sp2914-007 on the mpc3500/4500 to disable the motor. Is there any way this can be done ? I was thinking , if removing the lazer to get to the sensors and motor, can maybe the 'closed' sensor be manually bypassed ?, and of course the shutter would have to be removed. Would this work, and has anyone tried it ?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

Re: mpc3500 sc290

Just remove the shutter, or make sure the firmware is up to date, there was an engine firmware for laser shutter codes.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Removing the shutter does not remove sc290 which is the sensor/motor issue.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Usually the motor sensor is not faulty if a stucked shutter caused this - that's why it make sense to remove it. If there's no SP to disable then you can't just bypass the sensor since the machine probably expect specific readings during shutter on/off routine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Gift, IF, and only IF, the shutter is stuck then what you say about removing the shutter may be so, however, we are refering to the situation where sc290 is per description the 'closed' sensor not being activated or the motor faulty then what fix is possible ? If artificially tripping the 'closed' sensor, would that solve it ? , because with the laser unit out you can reach the sensors (but not to remove them I think).

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    Removing the shutter does not remove sc290 which is the sensor/motor issue.
    So are you saying that you tried removing the shutter and it didn't help or that you're not even going to bother?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Polo-022's Avatar

Well, i did remove a shutter five days ago and there was no necessity to do anything else.!
    Neither SP, nor bypass anything. It was an MP C3500.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    mpc3500 sc290

Just pull the LD unit (easy), and remove ONLY the shutter plate (this is what binds). Leave the arms and springs attached.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Oze,..I didn't say I wasn't going to bother or neither have I taken off the shutter, yet. Simply, before I spend two hours driving to other side of town to go the machine I want to be armed with more knowledge as to the remedy for all possibilities, including what if its NOT the shutter, and it is a sensor/ motor issue as listed in the sc codes in the manual !

Again, Mikadonovan, the shutter comes off easily yes, but WHAT IF ITS NOT the shutter, and its the sensor or motor ? What can i do then ??? Thats the million dollar question.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    mpc3500 sc290

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    Oze,..I didn't say I wasn't going to bother or neither have I taken off the shutter, yet. Simply, before I spend two hours driving to other side of town to go the machine I want to be armed with more knowledge as to the remedy for all possibilities, including what if its NOT the shutter, and it is a sensor/ motor issue as listed in the sc codes in the manual !

Again, Mikadonovan, the shutter comes off easily yes, but WHAT IF ITS NOT the shutter, and its the sensor or motor ? What can i do then ??? Thats the million dollar question.
    Just take a new sensor with you. Remove the shutter and replace the sensor.All possible problems corrected.

Oh, and when removing the shutter, remove just the shutter.