Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

OSX cannot print on mpc2050

We have a very strange issue, cannot get the mac mini to print on mpc2050 at all. Copier data line is flashing endlessly , lock up the copier, power cycle is only way to reset it. Mac stated printing ... device connected message.
    - Postscript is installed on copier.
    - OSX 10.11, bonjour connect, mpc2050 postscript driver from Ricoh website (tried generic postscript driver, ip print, etc, no dice).
    - Print Safari web page, pdf file, doc file, same result.
    - Other windows 10 print as charm.
    - Same set up without any issue on different customer with mpc4000.
    Any idea?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: OSX cannot print on mpc2050

The Postscript drivers only work if the PS3 option is installed o the MP C2050. If PS3 is not installed, the only way to print is to use Apple's "Generic PCL" model. It allows you to print but did not support Color printing as of the last time I set one up.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The Postscript drivers only work if the PS3 option is installed o the MP C2050. If PS3 is not installed, the only way to print is to use Apple's "Generic PCL" model. It allows you to print but did not support Color printing as of the last time I set one up.
    Thank you for your input, i installed postscript module, SD slot, it did show up in print feature for configuration. i learnt it from set it up for mpc4000, which required for postscript driver, but it did not work for this set up, and could not figure out what is wrong with it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

By Postscript driver do you mean the Postscript3 Driver ver 6.0.0 or the PS Driver for Universal Print ver 4.8.0.0. These drivers are for Windows X64 OS.
    MAC OSX 10.11 (OS X El Capitan) uses the PPD Installer ver 2.2.0.0.

Ricoh has recently changed their driver download page. They used to show you a list of operating systems and you chose what you wanted to download for. The page now detects the OS of the computer you are using and presents you with the driver selection for that OS. If you want drivers for a different OS, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select OS from there.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    By Postscript driver do you mean the Postscript3 Driver ver 6.0.0 or the PS Driver for Universal Print ver 4.8.0.0. These drivers are for Windows X64 OS.
    MAC OSX 10.11 (OS X El Capitan) uses the PPD Installer ver 2.2.0.0.

Ricoh has recently changed their driver download page. They used to show you a list of operating systems and you chose what you wanted to download for. The page now detects the OS of the computer you are using and presents you with the driver selection for that OS. If you want drivers for a different OS, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select OS from there.
    We are using PPD-installer for MAC OS X 10.11 from ricoh-usa.com
    PPD Installer Ver.2.2.0.0 Released Date: 09/17/2014
    We also used generic postscript driver, still same result.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Windows may be printing OK, but which driver did you use, PostScript, or PCL?

Make sure you test with PostScript from Windows to verify the PostScript option is working.

We've had a few over the years where the PostScript card was either the wrong one for the machine, defective, or possibly improperly removed from another machine, so that te license ws broken.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Windows may be printing OK, but which driver did you use, PostScript, or PCL?

Make sure you test with PostScript from Windows to verify the PostScript option is working.

We've had a few over the years where the PostScript card was either the wrong one for the machine, defective, or possibly improperly removed from another machine, so that te license ws broken.
    Thanks for your input. It turned out to be a wrong Postscript card installed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You can always look at the OS X CUPS print log by typing into Safari's URL bar:

localhost:631

if the Safari CUPS GUI is not enabled, it will tell you how to enable it in Apple's Terminal Program.

It just Pi$$es me off in this day and age that Ricoh *still* sees PostScript as an *option*!

Even if it is an emulation of PostScript like HP does, Ricoh NEEDS to get their $hit together!

I would buy (even though I work on Ricoh) a Kyocera any day OVER Ricoh JUST BECAUSE Kyocera's ease of set-up and the maintenance aspect--no rebuilding pcu's & fusers! (room for human error and technician is on the hook!) Kyocera Fusers, PCU's, etc. are assembled in a controlled factory environment, each part serialized and tracked, so if it fails before the part's lifespan is expired, it's under warranty and replaced.

IMO, Ricoh has become the "Titanic" of the copier industry...they don't learn from their design mistakes, longevity of certain parts *suck* due to the material used to manufacture them.

PS--I can't in true honesty recommend any Ricoh products, even though I work on them. The proof is in the fact that you will find MUCH fewer used Kyocera out on the market for resale due to the quality of design of the machines and the ease of maintaining them.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    You can always look at the OS X CUPS print log by typing into Safari's URL bar:

localhost:631

if the Safari CUPS GUI is not enabled, it will tell you how to enable it in Apple's Terminal Program.

It just Pi$$es me off in this day and age that Ricoh *still* sees PostScript as an *option*!

Even if it is an emulation of PostScript like HP does, Ricoh NEEDS to get their $hit together!

I would buy (even though I work on Ricoh) a Kyocera any day OVER Ricoh JUST BECAUSE Kyocera's ease of set-up and the maintenance aspect--no rebuilding pcu's & fusers! (room for human error and technician is on the hook!) Kyocera Fusers, PCU's, etc. are assembled in a controlled factory environment, each part serialized and tracked, so if it fails before the part's lifespan is expired, it's under warranty and replaced.

IMO, Ricoh has become the "Titanic" of the copier industry...they don't learn from their design mistakes, longevity of certain parts *suck* due to the material used to manufacture them.

PS--I can't in true honesty recommend any Ricoh products, even though I work on them. The proof is in the fact that you will find MUCH fewer used Kyocera out on the market for resale due to the quality of design of the machines and the ease of maintaining them.
    If Kyocera comes with PostScript pre-installed, then you are paying for it whether you need it or not. By the way, from what I have heard from IT personnel who work with OSX all the time, HP's Postscript emulation is a piece of crap. Ricoh does have HP's postscript emulation available for those who desire to use it. We haven't had any takers as of yet. On the newer models with PDF direct factory installed, the majority of Postscript is already installed, as a result the original Postscript SC card is no longer required to stay in the the SD slot. You can copy it to another card if you need to free up a slot.

As for maintenance, are you saying that every time a machine is due for maintenance you have to order the complete unit, Fusing/PCDU/etc?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Emulated PostScript, like HP's, often seems to cause more problems and frustrations than it ever does actually printing. Ricoh considers PostScript as an option because they're actually licensing the true PDL from Adobe, which doesn't come cheap. The difference between emulated and real PostScript shows up the first time you have a user that tries to print a PDF: half the time emulated PostScript ends up garbling half of the text or kills the images, or just does something stupid like never see the end command and keep printing until the machine is out of paper. Think of it the same way you would third party toner: it may fit in the slot, but it's going to cause you longer work in the end.

Mac users like to complain about the added expense of PostScript, but they're already paying a premium for everything else that connects to their precious device so they can deal with it.