Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canon345

Clear user setting and info for lease return Lanier LD620CS

How can I safely do this? I usually work on Canons and just perform the initialize all data. Clears out the user side settings like email, fax stuff and shortcuts.
    Who wants rep ? : )

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Clear user setting and info for lease return Lanier LD620CS

SP 5846-050 Initializes all address books in memory.
    SP 5832-001 Initializes (formats) the HDD

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If it's a lease return then remove the HDD and hand it to the customer. Have them sign your service ticket stating you surrendered the HDD to the customer. Now it's their problem.

Canon345

Quote Originally Posted by logrady2331 View Post
    If it's a lease return then remove the HDD and hand it to the customer. Have them sign your service ticket stating you surrendered the HDD to the customer. Now it's their problem.

Thats a $500 expense. All that needs done is emails deleted. I dont think the machine even has mailboxs.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Canon345 View Post
    Thats a $500 expense. All that needs done is emails deleted. I dont think the machine even has mailboxs.
    Where do you buy disk drives from?

Your best bet is to manually go through the address book and delete everything you can find, then go to User Tools, hold the # key and press System Settings, Printer Features, etc. The copier will ask you if you want to reset to factory default, you just need to confirm.
    Is that one of those diamond encrusted, gold leafed, fabergé HDDs I hear so much about?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    /Is that one of those diamond encrusted, gold leafed, fabergé HDDs I hear so much about?
    Maybe he thinks that he has to buy them directly from Ricoh.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

How is it any expense at all? Take the HDD out and send the machine back to the lease company. Simple as that. If there is "an expensive" solution then charge your customer. Or do you work for free?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Canon345: Deleting the address book does not "delete" anything at all. No matter the manufacturer the HDD data can only be broken up into millions of different bytes and disbursed into empty sectors on the HDD. Deleting the data or even doing an all clear in sim mode DOES NOT erase it. As I said, it only breaks the bytes into individual pieces and "finds" and empty spot on the HDD. Any HDD can be deciphered by a savvy tech with the right software and a matching lot-numbered hard drive. True, not just anyone can do it, but the folks who do certainly can recover most any information on a hard drive. How do you think the FBI, CIA etc. manage to recover previously "deleted" information from someone's HDD they tried to erase? By doing exactly as I just described. The ONLY truly secure way to ensure the data remains in the hands of the customer is to remove the HDD from the machine and hand it to them and then say "Drill a hole all the way though it". BAM! Secure and out of your realm of responsibility. Not trying to knock you around, just want to make sure you know what you are up against when it comes to HDD security on ship backs.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by logrady2331 View Post
    Canon345: Deleting the address book does not "delete" anything at all. No matter the manufacturer the HDD data can only be broken up into millions of different bytes and disbursed into empty sectors on the HDD. Deleting the data or even doing an all clear in sim mode DOES NOT erase it. As I said, it only breaks the bytes into individual pieces and "finds" and empty spot on the HDD. Any HDD can be deciphered by a savvy tech with the right software and a matching lot-numbered hard drive. True, not just anyone can do it, but the folks who do certainly can recover most any information on a hard drive. How do you think the FBI, CIA etc. manage to recover previously "deleted" information from someone's HDD they tried to erase? By doing exactly as I just described. The ONLY truly secure way to ensure the data remains in the hands of the customer is to remove the HDD from the machine and hand it to them and then say "Drill a hole all the way though it". BAM! Secure and out of your realm of responsibility. Not trying to knock you around, just want to make sure you know what you are up against when it comes to HDD security on ship backs.
    Any HDD can be securely erased, but not in the machine. Format function of Ricoh merely writes a blank directory to the disk. To securely erase requires the use of HDD utility software such as Norton Wipe Disk with the drive connected to a computer. For best results,it should be ran at least three times.