Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bensam123

Ricoh 2035 White Line / Dirty Copies

I started out by replacing the lower pressure roller, the cleaning roller, and the upper fuser roller as they looked worn in the place where the line was and it was time they were replaced according to the service manual. That didn't fix the problem.

I also replaced the drum as that looked worn in the place where the line was and it didn't fix anything.

This multiplied my problems now as I get grey copies and dark edges sometimes. It also appears that toner escapes inside the machine, which would indicate a bad seal between some of the parts, but I don't see one.

The machine also sometimes throws a SC304 error, but I believe this is in due part to the above problem.

From my understanding the grey copies, white lines, and dark edges can be caused by a dirty main fuser wire or corrona. Unfortunately I'm not able to locate it in the service manual to clean it or have any idea where to start looking for it myself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts delosangeles's Avatar

Charge roller

It sounds like you needed to replace the charge roller which located inside the drum unit. I would put the old drum back in the machine and install a new charge roller along with a cleaning blade for the charge roller and set SP 2001-001 to "-1450"

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    Man, that's a quirky machine. I'm factory trained, and have seen enough of them to know how to keep them running fairly well, and what to look out for. But if you are new to the machine, you may want to consider bringing in an expert.

Aside from that, check the mag roller for black toner buildup. It should be shiny silver. Clean it carefully with some scotchbrite. Check the resistance from the drum shaft to the chassis. It should be less than 30 ohms. If not, replace the drum ground bearing. Both of those can cause shading/background.

When you changed the drum, did you clean the charge roller and reset the voltage to default? The charge roller contacts on the drum unit housing can bend back and make poor contact and cause black lines. Did you clean and initialize the ID sensor? How many copies does the developer have on it?

When you say white lines, do you mean voids? Are they on internal test patterns? Have you cleaned the optics? Make sure the laser toner shield slit glass is clean or this can cause voids if there is toner spilled on it.

Lines only when you run copies from the ADF will be caused by the left side of the scanner being pushed down by someone leaning on it.

Hope these are some helpful suggestions. Good Luck.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensam123 View Post
    From my understanding the grey copies, white lines, and dark edges can be caused by a dirty main fuser wire or corrona.

As far as I'm aware, the 2035/Adonis has no Corona wire, instead it uses the rubber Charge Roller "7006/7012 depending on which model you're working on". As for the fuser, there's a Hot roller, Pressure Roller and Cleaning Roller. The Hot Roller could be worn, if so it'll be down to metal, and it'll need to be changed, as this is the side the image is on when the paper's being fed through the machine.

I'll list the white line issues I've had in the past.

Either:

> Charge Roller dirty/not cleaning/dirty cleaning roller

> Small torn piece of paper/other material stuck in the PCU section, wiping the toner off as the Drum turns.

If I were you, I'd strip the entire PCU unit down and vacumme/clean it until it's 'fairly' spotless, just to ensure nothing inside of that unit is causing this white line.

It would help to have an example, is this white line thick or thin? What is the life of the machine and when was the last time the Drum/Drum parts/Developer changed in the machine?

Lastly, is there anyone you can phone in your company to get some advice on the problem? I'd contact them if you haven't done so already =)

I hope this helps, if not, get back to us with that information!
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (Oc'ed to 3GHz - Stock Volts)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    4GB (2x 2GB) Corsair XMS Xpert II RAM
    ATi Radeon 4870 512MB GFX Card
    2x 74GB WD Raptor Sata HDD (RAID 0)
    500GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II HDD
    500GB Hitachi Sata II HDD
    600W500att OCZ PSU
    -TOTAL HDD SPACE 1148GB-

Try replacing the charge roller

Bensam123
    Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

After replacing the drum I reset the voltage and reinitialized it per manual specifications.

The white line appears no matter what you do in exactly the same spot. It also appears on test pattern copies. It is a 'absence' of any black, it looks as if toner never touches the area, runs the width of the paper, and is about a 1/8th of an inch.

Mag roller is cleaned. I did that while looking for the problem.

It's been vacuumed clean each time I opened it up just to make sure. It seems to look like it has problems with figuring out how much toner to supply. The Drum Roller Bias Adjustment always increases itself from 1450 (the setting you're supposed to set it to to begin with) to about 2000, which is the maximum. I turned down the toner supply to keep this from happening and it seems to help, as it hasn't automatically increased the bias adjustment since I did that and produces the same quality copies.

I haven't cleaned the optics (besides the scanner bed glass), but I'll look into it. Same with replacing the charge roller.

"As far as I'm aware, the 2035/Adonis has no Corona wire..."

Figured as much, but I know a lot of other copiers do so I was sorta stumped when I couldn't find it.

I did do a no-no. When I had the drum unit out, I didn't cover it with anything. It was never exposed to sunlight or anything incandescent, but could 15-30min florescent light exposure ruin it?

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

After replacing the drum I reset the voltage and reinitialized it per manual specifications.

The white line appears no matter what you do in exactly the same spot. It also appears on test pattern copies. It is a 'absence' of any black, it looks as if toner never touches the area, runs the width of the paper, and is about a 1/8th of an inch.

Mag roller is cleaned. I did that while looking for the problem.

It's been vacuumed clean each time I opened it up just to make sure. It seems to look like it has problems with figuring out how much toner to supply. The Drum Roller Bias Adjustment always increases itself from 1450 (the setting you're supposed to set it to to begin with) to about 2000, which is the maximum. I turned down the toner supply to keep this from happening and it seems to help, as it hasn't automatically increased the bias adjustment since I did that and produces the same quality copies.

I haven't cleaned the optics (besides the scanner bed glass), but I'll look into it. Same with replacing the charge roller.

"As far as I'm aware, the 2035/Adonis has no Corona wire..."

Figured as much, but I know a lot of other copiers do so I was sorta stumped when I couldn't find it.

I did do a no-no. When I had the drum unit out, I didn't cover it with anything. It was never exposed to sunlight or anything incandescent, but could 15-30min florescent light exposure ruin it?
    Sorry I´m asking a very simple question, Did you clean the small laser glass that under the toner hopper, just pull it out and clean it, toner falls onto that glass very frequently when the machine over tons or bad PMs.
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Doubtful, but bear in mind it's good practice to cover the Drum with maybe a sheet of A3 paper.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (Oc'ed to 3GHz - Stock Volts)
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    4GB (2x 2GB) Corsair XMS Xpert II RAM
    ATi Radeon 4870 512MB GFX Card
    2x 74GB WD Raptor Sata HDD (RAID 0)
    500GB Seagate Barracuda Sata II HDD
    500GB Hitachi Sata II HDD
    600W500att OCZ PSU
    -TOTAL HDD SPACE 1148GB-

dranoel
    Try to remove your dev unit into your machines and rotate it manualy,and visually check if theres a white lines on it.clean the doctor blade properly with your paper dust cleaner.

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iMind View Post
    Sorry I´m asking a very simple question, Did you clean the small laser glass that under the toner hopper, just pull it out and clean it, toner falls onto that glass very frequently when the machine over tons or bad PMs.
    Good call, that's made me scratch my head a few times in the past but it's first port of call now with this kind of problem...

.. Also in that vein, make sure there's nothing like a paper fragment in the aperture on the PCU where the laser shines through.

I have to say though, most problems I've had with the charge on this machine have resulted in dark lines and/or background, similar with worn drums/cleaning blades you tend to get toner where it shouldn't be, rather than no toner where there's supposed to be some.

I've had a variety of weird issues that are developer/toner related with this machine, just browse some of the threads to see how much of a pain in the arse this machine can be. Check the mag roller doesn't have a build up of hard toner across it's surface, this can be down to a bad batch of OEM toner or an indication that the customer is using non-OEM toner.

Another idea for you, see if you can crash stop the machine by opening the door midway through a copy and see if you can see the line developed on the drum, then strip the PCU and carefully examine the drum surface, charge roller and cleaning blade in that precise area, if you can't see it on the drum then your best bet is the fuser, the teflon coating on the hot roller may have failed taking the toner off the paper in that area.

Before all that though check your laser slitglass, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.