Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I've decided I hate Macs!!

So asked to install a MPC2551 with the Postscript option fitted to a company who only use macs.

Install machine, connect to router use DHCP to pick up network settings all ok. Customer can see the MPC2551 via Bonjour on his Mac, downloaded and installed the El Capitan driver, Mac configures everything automatically and we are done.

Does it print? Of course it doesn't the data light on the copier flashes, the Mac says it's connected but nothing.

So we try to print using IPP, Jet Direct etc etc and nothing prints, data light flashes but nothing prints.

Network print out say postscript is enabled, we can view the machines webpage but it won't print?!!

Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: I've decided I hate Macs!!

First make sure that user authentication has been disabled, or that the Printer restriction has been turned off.

Install v2.2.0.0 driver, when adding the printer use direct IP address and protocol LDP. For some models (03s) I've had to enter the queue print, for it to print, this may not be needed but it doesn't hurt to try.

If the device has been recognised, the driver should be automatically selected, if it still says Generic, then the Interface Settings may be incorrect, the driver wasn't installed correctly, or the Add Printer window was left open as the driver was being installed.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

If by user authentication you mean user codes/login then yes that's switched off

Click the + sign to add s printer, it recognises the Ricoh machine, click the IPP tab enter the IP address click on LPD Deamon, the Mac automatically selects the driver we downloaded (there was only 1 driver for El Capitan on the Ricoh mpc2551 download page) click ok it loads everything closes the add printer page but won't print?? I didn't try adding the word print in the queue.

Try checking the copier's print error log, see if there are any errors there. Also, try clearing the Printer Application in SP5-801, in case there is a stuck print job in memory.

You can test for stuck print job, but going to Printer SP > Test Page, as it uses the same memory.

Is the PS firmware up to date?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Try printing from a Windows machine (with the PostScript driver, of course) to see if it works. If you have to, you may need to use your notebook with a crossover (although most newer computers will auto-sense, meaning you can use a normal patch cable). You will most likely need to change the IP to a static address, although the machine may hold the IP assigned by DHCP long enough to be usable.

I've seen it where the PostScript card was bad, the wrong one, or had been improperly removed from another machine, messing up the license.

Also. as Ruben mentioned. try using "lp" (that's lower case "ell-pee") as the queue name. I remember that on the older models the default queue name did not work. I do not know if that has changed.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    I've decided I hate Macs!!

User Tolls - System Settings - Interface Settings - Print List.
    If there are any entries for any Access Control Range, you need to clear those through WIM or by using SP 5801-011 NCS.

Also as Rubin said personally confirm that User Authentication is set to off. I have seen it on with only printer being restricted.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Try adding the printer address as: lpd://IP Address/lp or lpd://IP Address/print (lp was what most past Ricoh devices used as their LPR queue name). It does sound like there's some kind of user restriction on the machine though.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Machine prints fine from a PC using standard TCP/IP Address port.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Adjust the network security level to 0 (from user tools ->systems settings ->administrator tools ->network security)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Update...

All user authentication definitely off
    Network security set to 0
    Tried LPD with all settings mentioned
    Tried IPP
    Tried Jet direct
    Green data light on machine flashes but Nothing prints
    Connect laptop and using pcl6 driver it prints fine
    Installed PS driver on laptop and it doesn't print

I'm guessing the PS card is faulty??