Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

pdf slow printing - ricoh mpc3002

Hello,
    It takes about 4 minutes to print 3x A3 pages, singel sided, color, PDF format.
    From another bundel it took 2 ours for 20 A4 pages, color!
    This problem also occured at the very begin, when the printer was installed, then i fixed it with something i can't remeber (yes, really)...
    They replaced the server and the problem is back...
    Can anybody give us any hints?
    Thanks!
    Greetings,
    Mark

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: pdf slow printing - ricoh mpc3002

Try using Foxit pdf reader had the similar problems printing from adobe to mpc2550 changed to foxit problem fixed
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Make sure of two things:

1) It is set up to use a 'Standard TCP/IP Port' - I'm seeing newer systems detect printers automagically and installing them using WSD ports which don't work worth a crap and
    2) It is set up with the driver downloaded from Ricoh, not the crap 'Ricoh Class' driver coming with newer systems as it's a piece of crap too.

Also, I have now seen in multiple cases where the machine communicates really slow because the NIC's gigabit capability is off by default and I feel the 100MB speed doesn't
    negotiate / play well with some switches.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Make sure of two things:

1) It is set up to use a 'Standard TCP/IP Port' - I'm seeing newer systems detect printers automagically and installing them using WSD ports which don't work worth a crap and
    2) It is set up with the driver downloaded from Ricoh, not the crap 'Ricoh Class' driver coming with newer systems as it's a piece of crap too.

Also, I have now seen in multiple cases where the machine communicates really slow because the NIC's gigabit capability is off by default and I feel the 100MB speed doesn't
    I'm with ZED255 on this "class" drivers.... not worth sh!t.

It is also worth checking different documents as some PDF docs are not "flattened" properly when they are saved and that causes all kinds of trouble when trying to print something that looks fine on the screen.

I also agree that Acrobat is not always the most stable reader to use. I have had Reader throw a fit and close with some files....
    Press the GREEN button!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Make sure of two things:

Every time I have had customers with slow printing, especially PDF printing, either the driver was the Microsoft "Ricoh Class" driver or the port being used was a WSD port and not a TCP/IP port. Both are the result of letting Windows automaticly detect and install a new printer.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Morning all. I would re-install the latest PS drivers and firmware (both must be machine specific and not the "class" drivers from Ricoh on your laptop and direct connect to the machine. Print same files and see what happens. If it does the same then you have a machine issue and thats where the Firmware comes in. Check Firmware release as to what it is going to "fix" and see if your issue(s) are in there. Just recently installed a fuser on a an MPC4501 and client complained that BW was fine but Color PDF took about 3 mins per page. Turned off the machine and disconnected ethernet, power plug. This will give the machine a few minutes to clear everything out of temp memory and refresh itself. Also turns out they upgraded all computers in the latter part of 2015 and have been having slight but noticable issues with connectivity.
    Keep in mind that as companies upgrade to the lastest in security and other enhancements on the networks and "forget" about the printers, MFPS, Scanners. Doesnt seem like a big issue now, but they build up after a while. I have made it a point to keep up on the firmware and try not to let it get more than 2 versions ahead.
    Hope this helps.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

If they are using Adobe, on the print screen menu there's a button "Advanced", in there check mark the box next to "Print as Image". This has always helped in the past with pdf issues. This is in Adobe's print menu and not the Ricoh print driver menu.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

As others have mentioned, I'd bet anything that they're using the 'Ricoh Class Driver".

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Death to the "Ricoh Class Driver" and WSD ports.

I had a customer try using both of these (the IT guy is a TOTAL jerk) with Equitrac. He thought he knew it all. NOT.

Drove us nuts until we found the problem. Fortunately, it was only an hour or two.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Ottawatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I'm with ZED255 on this "class" drivers.... not worth sh!t.

It is also worth checking different documents as some PDF docs are not "flattened" properly when they are saved and that causes all kinds of trouble when trying to print something that looks fine on the screen.
    X2 on the drivers and the WSD port. Also have found that, as above, if the PDFs haven't been flattened or de-layered, a relatively small file can baloon - 5 Mb can become 100 Mb. Right-click the printer icon in the system tray; you'll see the file size.

Tim
    Nothing works quite so well that I can't totally disable it by trying to make it a little better.