Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MP C5502 SC 541 recurring problem

Morning All,

I have an MP C5502 that is repeatedly giving SC 541. I have replaced the two thermopiles, swapped fuser units, swapped thermistors, reduced the temperature of the print ready center temperature to 163 degrees. This code is still persisting. I'm resetting it, sometimes it won't come up for 2 weeks, sometimes next day. Approx 1.2M BK and approx 500K COl. My Next thought is to replace the controller board however this is obviously an expensive route and would rather avoid it if possible.

Any bright Ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: MP C5502 SC 541 recurring problem

Controller or IOB could be a possible cause. Firmware up to the latest and greatest? D144 fusing sleeve and fuser fitted?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Ripped ITB belt can cause this. Check the condition of the ITB, if it is arcing, it can throw this code.

Sorry, should have mentioned, Latest Engine firmware updated, plus the full 'package' firmware. Obvious stuff like checking for anything physical like torn ITB's has been checked. I've tried other working fusers so it can't be in that area as the code persists.

I'm worried that the code is stored in it's memory somewhere in the EEPROM or NVRAM, but since I don't have the NVRAM backed up from a time when the machine was working I'm stuck. Controller board is my only idea here too

How is the power at the outlet? Can you move the machine to another circuit for awhile to test, or put a good power filter on it to record the power sags? If the power is ok, I would think the IOB or the AC Controller Board would be next in line.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

Try a new fuser before you pursuit other boards.

It's had 3 different fusers in it, whereby two of them have come from lower volume machines that don't throw the code. It's also been moved to a different floor with a different ring main and still throws the code, plus there are 5 other machines per floor which don't have problems.

Currently just taking apart our spare machine. Going to replace the IOB and controller as this was my what I was thinking before anyway. Just had a thought late last night to also replace the harness from behind where the thermopiles plug into in case there is a dry joint in the connectors or some other issue with the harness due to the constant exposure to heat. (not sure why I never changed this before come to think of it)

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    It's had 3 different fusers in it, whereby two of them have come from lower volume machines that don't throw the code. It's also been moved to a different floor with a different ring main and still throws the code, plus there are 5 other machines per floor which don't have problems.

Currently just taking apart our spare machine. Going to replace the IOB and controller as this was my what I was thinking before anyway. Just had a thought late last night to also replace the harness from behind where the thermopiles plug into in case there is a dry joint in the connectors or some other issue with the harness due to the constant exposure to heat. (not sure why I never changed this before come to think of it)

Good luck. Don't forget about the AC Controller board.

IOB and AC controller swapped. I started taking out the harness that connects to thermopiles........if you've never tried.....don't. Ended up just taking all the thermopile harness connectors out and reseating them. Shall see if the code comes back. Thanks for the replies.

Lightbulb Re: MP C5502 SC 541 recurring problem

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    IOB and AC controller swapped. I started taking out the harness that connects to thermopiles........if you've never tried.....don't. Ended up just taking all the thermopile harness connectors out and reseating them. Shall see if the code comes back. Thanks for the replies.
    H, I've had this a few times myself on the '02 series. There was a little known issue with the fuser drive motor being weak on the 02 series, this seemed to cause an issue with certain fuser codes. You may or may not have had comments from the customer in the past either with a smudge band or other copy quality issue that was random, this was caused by the paper slowing and putting a slight buckle going through the fuser then speeding up again, but this wasn't always present as a symptom.

The solution is to Replace the fuser drive motor and clean the helical drive gear of all debris etc. This should sort the issue for you.