Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP 301spf ? What do you think of these and how are they doing in the field so far

I think we've had a few of these models put out in the field as "newsed" (newly used) machines...I think we've stopped selling them though!....we not to long ago started dealing in Kyocera....been selling them like hotcakes!....AND Kyocera R&D with consumables, drums and fusers kicks the SH!T out of Ricoh!

Just Sayin'!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Re: MP 301spf ? What do you think of these and how are they doing in the field so far

About the only change i like was making the machine a bit wider front to rear to get the fuser out/in easier and able to get at the wire connectors pretty much a short list of likes cause thats about it. The adf not great, doesn't feed well, can't open it all the way to clean the glass without holding the top up, getting to optics is a pain. PCU's don't last, the PTR on the door has issues with squealing due to the lube they put in the bushing turning toner into muck, the dusting in this machine is like a haze of stickyness sucks to clean out.

Of the one thing they could have changed which is moving the exit sensor to the front side of the machine where the rear fan doesn't suck all the dust and lint across it they did not move it, they could have just moved this sensor and kept making the old machine and life would have been just as well.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Bit late to the party on this one, but these machines are pretty much junk.

I have a pile of them that I unfortunately have to work on.

My experience with them is anything out of a PCU past 20K is a bonus. I have had better luck with using the 1515 drums, although they will fail early as well; just not as often and in general, last longer.

The fusers are also problematic as I have had a pile of hot rollers that are supposed to go 90k, last anywhere from 20k-40k or so. Basically, the thermistor marks the roller and you get a nice black mark down the middle of the page. I have lost track of the number of times I have gone into a machine with 20k something and had to replace both drum and hot roller.

BTW, with all the PCU issues, they are messy machines because they will throw toner/developer all over the inside of the machine.

In addition, you have to keep a closer eye on the transfer roller because of the higher speed. I find myself replacing those more often, mostly as a result of grinding noises (gear gets ground down where it meshes with the drum unit) than any real wear on the roller itself.

The DF, others have covered fairly well in terms of its limitations/issues, although I was not a fan of the 171 DF either.

As far as the toner goes, the toner in the bottle is the exact same thing, but the bottles are different. The bottle was changed because the 171 series uses a toner add clutch while the 301 uses a toner add motor.

Part of the issue with these that cause issues is they get misplaced in roles they were not meant to be in. Some of my machines having very heavy volume (7-9K+ a month) and customers using it more as a scanner (they scan stacks and stacks and stacks of documents) it can cause a very bad taste. Run it like it should be run (light duty 2-5k a month max) and most of the time, it behaves itself and runs pretty good.

I guess I should not mention the absolute fun it is to tear the power supply and laser out to get to the intermediate connector for the tray 1 paper end switch that gets yanked out on occasion when the switch gets knocked loose and then pushed back by the drawer. (I have gotten to do that twice).

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MP 301spf ? What do you think of these and how are they doing in the field so far!

Sorry, it's been awhile but I wanted to thank everyone for there thoughts!