OP has said he requires push scanning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan directly to a laptop without using a router

Re: Scan directly to a laptop without using a router

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    OP has said he requires push scanning.

Try a test scan. When it errors out, immediately go to User Tools - System Settings - Interface and print list. The last page of the printout will show a partial network log. Look for the SMB errors to see what they are. As far as network settings, use the IP address of the computer as both the gateway and the DNS. Make sure that the SMB workgroup is the same as the workgroup on the computer. Check the firewall settings on the computer. If they are using McAfee, you can disable the firewall temporarily. If that allows scanning then it is up to the IT and McAfee to correct.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Great help guys, really appreciate it. I will be there hopefully tomorrow to apply these suggestions and report back with the result.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Last I remember, most Ricoh machines cannot scan over USB, network only.

I think some of the entry level consumer grade machines can use USB, but I don't think any business model ( such as this one) can.

No gateway required, as stated already, Almost all computers built over the past number of years will compensate for using a straight through cable instead of a crossover, also already stated.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ken is right. Scan isn't supported over USB. I got this word from tech support directly and then went back and read the machine specs. Sure enough, no mention of scanning over USB.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Just do FTP. Simplest scanning method going.

Use the free FileZilla FTP server and host an FTP share. If you can print, you have network connectivity so scanning shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to open up port 21 on the PC firewall (FTP port). No need for a crossover, nothing to do with OS version but purely that newer ports are auto-switching. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 for this. It's become my default recommendation for cases like this. Works every time, and no need to fuzz with OS versions, firmware updates, twain drivers and whatnot. Remember to uncheck that the FTP Server config console shows on login, and the user won't even notice it's there. Easier to troubleshoot too, if needed.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Use the free FileZilla FTP server and host an FTP share. If you can print, you have network connectivity so scanning shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to open up port 21 on the PC firewall (FTP port). No need for a crossover, nothing to do with OS version but purely that newer ports are auto-switching.

Just do FTP. Simplest scanning method going.

Quote Originally Posted by bjakobs View Post
    +1 for this. It's become my default recommendation for cases like this. Works every time, and no need to fuzz with OS versions, firmware updates, twain drivers and whatnot. Remember to uncheck that the FTP Server config console shows on login, and the user won't even notice it's there. Easier to troubleshoot too, if needed.
    The problem here is that many major corporations and It personnel do not feel that FTP is sufficiently secure. As for FileZilla, most company domains do not allow normal users to install software. It must be done by an Administrator and most larger corporations will not allow it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The problem here is that many major corporations and It personnel do not feel that FTP is sufficiently secure. As for FileZilla, most company domains do not allow normal users to install software. It must be done by an Administrator and most larger corporations will not allow it.
    Check the SFTP option then.

As for the software side of things, any large company that runs a secure domain using group policy will have a server that you can set up scan to SMB on so the point is moot. We're talking small companies with just a router and no server.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Some years ago, I installed an MP 161 at a state office, it was for a small cluster of 3 people to use.

Since it was not an "approved" model to put on the network, I used a USB cable connected to one of the PCs to print, and we then shared the printer from that one workstation.

The customer assumed that scanning would work (at least to the host PC) using USB. Nope.

I offered them the idea of installing a second NIC in the host PC (with a totally different IP, 192.x versus the 10.x the network had), and crossing over into the copier.

The department manager thought it was a wonderful idea, but IT saw it as a risk, and shot it down.

Hey, I tried.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins