Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Scan directly to a laptop without using a router

Hello, I have a client with a Ricoh MP-171SPF who is in an office where they are wireless, and they want me to connect a cat5 ethernet cable directly to the laptop and scan to it. So I did and I can print to it but I cannot get the scan to go through. It has the latest firmware. I told them I need a router involved but he is insisting that it can work without one. So I do not have a gateway address to use. Has anyone been able to do this? Don't know what to tell him. Thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Scan directly to a laptop without using a router

Only way I have been able to connect directly to a machine is with a crossover cable. Thats how I can rule out the machine and show the customer that it is a network or computer issue when dealing with scanning.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Hello, I have a client with a Ricoh MP-171SPF who is in an office where they are wireless, and they want me to connect a cat5 ethernet cable directly to the laptop and scan to it. So I did and I can print to it but I cannot get the scan to go through. It has the latest firmware. I told them I need a router involved but he is insisting that it can work without one. So I do not have a gateway address to use. Has anyone been able to do this? Don't know what to tell him. Thanks.
    Make it simple.

Download this FREE TWAIN host scanner software!:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/naps2/

Install the appropriate TWAIN driver for that model of MFP, hook up USB connection and away you go!...this is a "pull scan" BTW!

Or, if you want to get crazy and do a "push scan", get a crossover ethernet cable, configure IP on MFP & computer's NIC cards with static IP and subnet, plugin, configure address book in MFP and folder in Computer....you know the drill!

Oh fageddaboutit!....just do the damn pull scan!...you'll be out of there in 10 minutes or less!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

can they print to it without the cable? is it on its own connection? if so, if you can see the printer on the network, should be able to set up scan without a cable. or set up a wireless extender on the 171 that puts the mfp on their network and scan that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do need push scanning. The client does not want the machine on their network due to security concerns he said. He says I should be able to do the direct connection. And it does work for printing. I will double check to see if the path is using the IP address instead of the PC's name, I think it is already set that way. I will also make sure it is a static IP on his PC. I am not sure having a blank gateway is going to work, but maybe that does not matter?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Use the free FileZilla FTP server and host an FTP share. If you can print, you have network connectivity so scanning shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to open up port 21 on the PC firewall (FTP port). No need for a crossover, nothing to do with OS version but purely that newer ports are auto-switching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

It's definitely not a problem to scan directly to the laptop with an ethernet cable and I agree, a crossover is not necessary with Windows 7 laptops onward and all that's required is the IP address and G/W
    Even if you previously turned on printer and folder sharing in the Network and sharing centre, you may need to check again, because I think the network automatically changes to Public when it's connected directly, and sharing is turned off by default

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

The customer is all wireless yet claims the MFP is a security issue? Whatever... Sounds like a good case for the scan to USB option or really anything beyond scan to SMB. After all, how does the customer intend to get the scans from the laptop to the rest of the world? Is he dual homing the laptop so that it's connected to both networks? Maybe just a USB TWAIN scanner would be a better idea.

Overall, the only things you'll need are a static IP on both the 171 and the Ethernet port on the laptop in the same IP range, though make sure that it's a unique range from the wireless network's IP range. For example, if the wireless network is on 192.168.0.xxx then make the Ethernet 10.0.0.xxx and give the 171 a static address in that same range like 10.0.0.yyy. Make the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and just use anything for the gateway like 10.0.0.1, since it will just be a dummy address anyway since the gateway is the address that can jump from your network to the larger internet.

Make sure that the network type on the laptop's Ethernet port is set to either Work or Home, which opens the ports needed for SMB.
    Last edited by rthonpm; 05-18-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: More detail, less griping about the customer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Make it simple.

Download this FREE TWAIN host scanner software!:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/naps2/

Install the appropriate TWAIN driver for that model of MFP, hook up USB connection and away you go!...this is a "pull scan" BTW!

Or, if you want to get crazy and do a "push scan", get a crossover ethernet cable, configure IP on MFP & computer's NIC cards with static IP and subnet, plugin, configure address book in MFP and folder in Computer....you know the drill!

Oh fageddaboutit!....just do the damn pull scan!...you'll be out of there in 10 minutes or less!

Did nobody see my post above???

Y'all are bitchin' and moanin' about privacy, control and simplicity!

If the MFP is NEAR the PC, a USB cable with pull scan WILL SUFFICE for printing AND scanning!

PLUS!

The user can make scanner profiles for different DPI in the host software and such!

SHEESH!

Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill!....DOH!

PS--10 minute setup....tops!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Did nobody see my post above???

Y'all are bitchin' and moanin' about privacy, control and simplicity!

If the MFP is NEAR the PC, a USB cable with pull scan WILL SUFFICE for printing AND scanning!

PLUS!

The user can make scanner profiles for different DPI in the host software and such!

SHEESH!

Y'all are making a mountain out of a molehill!....DOH!

PS--10 minute setup....tops!

If you are going to do pull scanning, just download the network TWAIN or network WIA driver from Ricoh. No USB is needed. WIA driver does not require specific software, just use default Windows scanner/camera software.