Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    EB-1357 Fiery Controller stuck on "Starting, please wait..." - Possible Solution

EB-1357 Fiery Controller stuck on "Starting, please wait..." - Possible Solution

Hello all!

I just had a situation where this Fiery was stuck while starting the Fiery service (the top bar kept saying "Starting, please wait"). After several attempts (running the cleanup.bat, check disks for errors) without success, and facing the prospect of reinstalling the software from CD, and figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried something: Running the setup from C:\CD2\Fiery\setup.exe

It worked. Don't ask me why, but it worked (at least so far).

So if you're in a predicament and have no other option (specially handy if you don't have the system CDs) here's a short list of hints:

- Go to the windows services and stop all the Fiery services
    - Go to task manager and kill all the Fiery processes you see running
    - Run the setup and follow the instructions
    - Whenever setup tells you there's a file it needs to overwrite, ALT-TAB out of the setup, go to the folder where the file is and rename it and add .bak (or .old or something) to it, then ALT-TAB back to the setup and tell it to continue (if you don't do this the setup will eventually fail).
    - Reboot in the end.

Worked for me, but your milleage may vary. Some settings will be kept, others will return to default.

let me know if this saves your proverbial ass.

Cheers!
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: EB-1357 Fiery Controller stuck on "Starting, please wait..." - Possible Solution

I'm not sure, but I think doing it that way is reinstalling just the Fiery software, instead of the traditional method of overwriting the OS and the Fiery stuff.

I would imagine the results would be different if the OS wuz hosed.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Re: EB-1357 Fiery Controller stuck on "Starting, please wait..." - Possible Solution

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think doing it that way is reinstalling just the Fiery software, instead of the traditional method of overwriting the OS and the Fiery stuff.

I would imagine the results would be different if the OS wuz hosed.
    Sure, this is assuming the underlying os is fine, and just the fiery software is bad.

I'm also assuming this *might* work with other fierys, and I do know it's not the recommended course of action.

But if you're running out of time (as I was - it was either that or returning the next day for a full install) or if you don't have the CDs/ISOs, then this *might* be a way out.

Of course I give no warranties - just another way of potentially solving a problem when you've got nothing to lose.
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just for the record
    I know this is a post of 5years ago, but I stumbled across it with a very similar problem on a KM c7000 running an EFI IC-306 Pro80 Fiery.
    The solution as detailed by mrwho did work with one tweak.
    Doing exactly what was listed including renaming the files that didn't overwrite sucessfully first time, didn't solve the problem. In my case I had to create a new EFI folder on the E: drive. I called it EFI2. And then ran the same installation file mapped to the new folder, and all worked. I created a new folder as the system would not allow me to rename the original EFI folder.
    So, a very belated thanks to mrwho!
    Cheers
    Mark

Glad this post could help someone. I didn't even remember I did it. Cheers!
    Mascan42

Ibid

Smile Re: EB-1357 Fiery Controller stuck on "Starting, please wait..." - Possible Solution

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Hello all!

I just had a situation where this Fiery was stuck while starting the Fiery service (the top bar kept saying "Starting, please wait"). After several attempts (running the cleanup.bat, check disks for errors) without success, and facing the prospect of reinstalling the software from CD, and figuring I had nothing to lose, I tried something: Running the setup from C:\CD2\Fiery\setup.exe

It worked. Don't ask me why, but it worked (at least so far).

So if you're in a predicament and have no other option (specially handy if you don't have the system CDs) here's a short list of hints:

- Go to the windows services and stop all the Fiery services
    - Go to task manager and kill all the Fiery processes you see running
    - Run the setup and follow the instructions
    - Whenever setup tells you there's a file it needs to overwrite, ALT-TAB out of the setup, go to the folder where the file is and rename it and add .bak (or .old or something) to it, then ALT-TAB back to the setup and tell it to continue (if you don't do this the setup will eventually fail).
    - Reboot in the end.

Cheers!

Very thanks to all,
    as I am new on this site, I will follow
    mrwho's method tomorrow in the morning and I will tell you my story with ic-305 and ic-408.

For now, I am Very thankful to respected mrwho.