Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: mp4500 Sc101

Copier Gawd 50+ Posts

mp4500 Sc101

Hey hi all
    I have a tech working on an mp3500 on a cruise ship (at dock) that gets an intermitent sc101 code. we have tried all that the manuals tells us including sbu board. The client tells us that when this happens they will try turning off/on the copier untill it starts correctly. sometimes up to 10 restarts in a row. any ideas?

service manual below

101 D Exposure lamp error
    The standard white level was not
    detected properly when scanning the
    white plate.
    Exposure lamp defective

Lamp stabilizer defective

Exposure lamp connector defective

Standard white plate dirty

Scanner mirror or scanner lens out of
    position or dirty

SBU defective

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    You've stated that all that the manual states to replace you've replaced: stabilizer, SBU, lamp, white plate, etc?

I'm wondering if maybe there is some buildup on the scanner rail & shaft, or maybe the assembly is slightly bent or warped. I do remember on the older 35/45 cpm when the whole top of the copier can be bent from the factory and/or customer leaning on the front-left corner, causing weird problems. Since the customer turns it off & on multiple times and it finally works, then maybe there is some gunk on those items, and it is having difficulty, but finally able to initialize. If an output check is done on scanner movement, is it moving smoothly? Or, maybe the scanner motor is getting somehow worn.

Although scanner errors are usually different codes, maybe it is just not quite in the right place to trigger a scanner home position code, for instance, but also not enough to properly initialize, therefore throwing the 101 code.

Is the firmware up to date? Also, are there any other scanner codes being thrown?

I would have your tech go back to the basics, or maybe have someone else check out the machine, with fresh eyes. I know it can get very frustrating to battle a code that never seems to go away, only to have someone else go back in and find something else by using a different way to approach the problem.

I do not work on these newer models, but I'm guessing that their scanner assemblies are close to the older 35/45 cpm models.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

copytec
    If you tray check line: exp.lamp - PSU. Is the PSU Ok?
    If the machine work on the ship, what hapen with AC generator on ship.
    Yehh!!! You must see a nashua 1220 when come back to harbour.

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar
    The Xenon lamp is faulty.

Replace the Xenon lamp. As an emergency measure, it is possible to temporarily restore it by exposing it under fluorescent light for approximately a minute or, using a flashlight, expose to the light along the length of the Xenon lamp. As a permanent fix, the Xenon lamp must be replaced.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    I would also have leaned toward the lamp, except the post led me to believe that all of that was replaced.

Most of the time, the lamp does fix the 101 code, but I have seen other weird things (as most of us have.)

I'm curious what ends up fixing the problem.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

Copier Gawd 50+ Posts
    When fixed i will reply with the answer. There are a few of these machines onboard and what the tech has been doing is swapping parts from 1 to another. So, while the parts are not actually new they all work fine in the other copiers. The ship will be back in harbour this weekend ,so hopefully it will get fixed then.

Copier Gawd 50+ Posts
    Still not fixed. The problem was worked on by a diff company in a diff port with no success there either. the customer is going to ricoh to have the machine replaced