Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Scan to Folder Problem after MS Update

Hi Guys

Since 3 Days we are having lot`s of Customers calling because of Scan to Folder Problems after Windows Update. Since i was not able to find any Information regarding this Problem i tested around a little bit.

The Problem is this Update KB3165191

After you install this security update, the following changes are applied: NETBIOS communication outside of the local subnet is hardened. Therefore, by default, some features that depend on NETBIOS (such as SMB over NETBIOS) will not work outside the local subnet. To change this new default behavior, create the following registry entry:

SUBKEY:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters
    Value Name: AllowNBToInternet
    Type: Dword
    Value: 1

If someone is facing this Problem and uses this Solution let me know if it worked for you like it worked for my 3 Test`s i made with this Solution. By the way the Problem is also faced by other Brand`s for example Canon.

Have a nice Day
    Last edited by PillePalle; 06-23-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Technician

Re: Scan to Folder Problem after MS Update

Hi All

I made a Fix for this. SImply download the Attachment and change the end of the file from "*.txt" to "*.reg" and execute it on the local machine. It will add the Reg Key to the right Place.

SMB-Fix.txt

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PillePalle View Post
    Hi All

I made a Fix for this. SImply download the Attachment and change the end of the file from "*.txt" to "*.reg" and execute it on the local machine. It will add the Reg Key to the right Place.

SMB-Fix.txt
    I'm kinda leary about downloading something like that, could be virus?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Well is no Virus but that will not help you much. You can download it and let run a Virusscanner over it. But anyone knowing about Crypters and FUD Viruses will know that you will never be certain even with a AV Scan. There is another simply way. make the registry entry yourself. Up to you. But again it`s no Virus. There are much easyer ways to hack someone if needed.

Have a nice Day

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Since it is a text file and knowing the way .reg files for updating the registry work, I looked at the file and compared it to the manual edit to the registry. The only diference that I noted is in the manual edit instructions there is a typo. There should not be a space between the c and e in Services.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi All,
    Please review and pass this along to others in your organizations who may need to be aware of this.

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-077 - Scanning to SMB fails.

If Scan to Folder is conducted on a computer or server that has the Windows Update that was published on June 14, 2016, applied, it might fail to send to the folder.

The following information is what we currently know about KB3161949:

Symptom
    If Scan to Folder is conducted on a computer or server that has the Windows Update that was published on June 14, 2016, applied, it might fail to send to the folder.

Cause
    If KB3161949 is included in an update that is applied from Windows Update, this issue might be occur.

After applying this KB, it restricts the network connection of TCP 139 (NetBIOS over TCP/IP) to only a local segment. Therefore, a connection for Scan to Folder by using TCP 139 from the MFP, which is in a different segment from the destination computer, might be denied.

Workaround
    To avoid this issue, please conduct the following workaround:

- Change the priority port for the SMB client to TCP 445 (Direct Hosting/CIFS) by using telnet.

Change the priority port procedure of the SMB client:
    1) Connect to the target device by using telnet from the command prompt and log in as the administrator.
    2) Enter the following command:
    >smb client port 445

RICOH Maintenance Shell.
    User access verification.
    login: ***** (enter the Administrator login name)
    Password: (enter the password)
    User access verification ... OK.
    RICOH ********
    Network Control Service Ver. 12.78
    Copyright (C) 1994-2016 Ricoh Co.,Ltd. All rights reserved.
    msh>smb client port 445
    msh> smb
    Workgroup Name : WORKGROUP
    Computer Name :
    Comment :
    Notification : Off
    Protocol : IPv4
    Client Port : 445
    Client Auth Level : 0
    Client WSD Browse : Off
    Client Write Mode : Async
    msh> logout
    Logout Maintenance Shell.
    Do you save configuration data? (yes/no/return) > yes
    Yes.
    Now, Save data.
    Or

- Specify WINS or DNS on the device to conduct name resolution.

Applicable operating systems
    Operating systems that can have KB3161949 applied, which include Windows Vista and later versions of Windows.

Reference
    Please refer to the following link, which includes public information about KB3161949, as described by Microsoft. For more details and/or inquiries, please contact Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161949

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There is firmware out to resolve this issue for all Ricoh devices. Done this a heap of times already without touching the clients PC's

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I ran into this today, upgraded firmware on an MPC6003 and on two MP5002's, still not scanning, had to telnet in and change the port to 445.

Actually, had to download the utility putty, because telnet is not loaded on my laptop.
    Last edited by anothertech; 07-06-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Making a registry change on a customers PC is pretty intrusive.

A telnet session on the Ricoh NIC to change smb port to 445 sounds way more recommended.

I have been changing Kyocera smb scan ports to 445 from 139 for a few years now without issues, which you can change much easier through web connection, than a telnet session.

Good Luck

Retired 10,000+ Posts

One thing I encountered last week after this thread was started had to do with domain name. The customer was a school district. The district office has two machines, one color and one B/W. The B/W quit scanning to folders on the file server for the domain. Each school campus has its own subnet, different third octet. There is also a separate subnet for the district office and the main servers have their own subnet. At first I thought that the problem might be the MS update but the IT said that the color machine was working. I compared the settings on the 2 machines and first noticed the color machine was using computer name and the B/W was using IP address. I changed to computer and test connection could not find destination. I printed the interface settings to see the error lg and noticed the it said DNS request rejected. I then compared the interface settings between the 2 machines and notice the the domain name for the color machine ended in .net and the B/W .org. I changed the B/W machine and now both work.

I think that the MS Update caused the server to reject scans, not from out of subnet but instead from out of domain.