Technician

reasons for mp 4500 light copies??

Hi, all.
    Currently I am having problem with my ricoh mp4500.

The Vsp reading for my machine is 1.15 something. I thought it is the hopper problem and replaced the hopper with another machine I which I have. The printout went ok with Vsp 0.09. After some copies, the Vsp went up again to 1.15 something.
    Is this the sign of weak developer?

Fyi, I also tried to replace the developer unit with another machine I am using and the prints went out ok (Vsp 0.09 something). But after some copies the copies become light again and the machine ask for toner. At this time the Vsp went up to 1.1 something. Did both developer unit have weak power already?

What are signs of weak developer?

Tq for your consultation.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    reasons for mp 4500 light copies??

Re: reasons for mp 4500 light copies??

Try cleaning the ID sensor with a soft cloth moistened with water only. If you do not know what the ID sensor is, hire a qualified tech to do it for you.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Most of the reasons for light copies such as toner bottle mylars and ID sensor being dirty result in some sort of error. Dirty ID sensor usually gives off a 300 something sc code at some point, toner hopper mylars usually end with an Add toner warning or msg. When you read through the vsp,vsg post you should notice the vsg should be at like 4.0 which is the ID sensor reading off the bare drum if that number is 4.0 or +/- 0.2 then your ID sensor is likely reading the drum correctly, if your vsp is high even with a correct ID sensor reading then your not getting enough toner in the developer unit. If your vsg is off then your ID sensor could be dirty or you have a bad drum surface, this is going to affect your vsp readings.

Its a good chance your do for PM and probably need to replace the developer, pcu parts, and transfer unit. Swapping an already initialized developer unit from one machine to another may not yield better results.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Counsel View Post
    Most of the reasons for light copies such as toner bottle mylars and ID sensor being dirty result in some sort of error. Dirty ID sensor usually gives off a 300 something sc code at some point, toner hopper mylars usually end with an Add toner warning or msg. When you read through the vsp,vsg post you should notice the vsg should be at like 4.0 which is the ID sensor reading off the bare drum if that number is 4.0 or +/- 0.2 then your ID sensor is likely reading the drum correctly, if your vsp is high even with a correct ID sensor reading then your not getting enough toner in the developer unit. If your vsg is off then your ID sensor could be dirty or you have a bad drum surface, this is going to affect your vsp readings.

Its a good chance your do for PM and probably need to replace the developer, pcu parts, and transfer unit. Swapping an already initialized developer unit from one machine to another may not yield better results.
    i will try. will share the result soon. TQ.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Try cleaning the ID sensor with a soft cloth moistened with water only. If you do not know what the ID sensor is, hire a qualified tech to do it for you.
    i already cleaned the ID sensor. just the same result.
    Adding toner manually into the developer unit also don't change the copies. another suggestion?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Did you check the laser shield glass, it slides in between the toner hopper and developer unit, if it has toner all over it the laser cant write to the drum very well and you can get light quality or even blank areas on the page.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi

The connections of the charge roller on the PCU (rear side) use a leaf contact, this can give bad continuity resulting in , incorrect VSP / VSG readings.
    Check with continuity test from charge roller bushings through to the connection on the rear, if found to be at fault clean connections, you may need to rub down leaf connection with emery paper, apply a small amount of contact grease!
    Note you will need to reboot machine to get correct ID readings afterwards, or run process control.

Good luck

Technician

Finally I got the solution for the high Vsp reading assuming that these action taken (mylar in hopper, clean the doctor blade of dv unit, check for dv unit paddle gear, clean the ID sensor, force toner, etc.) I just need to run the copies for another 50-100 copies and the copies will slowly become dark again.

What I can conclude is:
    High Vsp reading does not reflect that the developer is weak, just that need to adjust some part of the machine and run the machine. Anyone know what are the signs for weak developer?

Technician

When developer loses properties , u have toner scatered inside the machine , developer unit is very dirty .Its also good for pcu to have good developer .