Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good for a laugh. Bone head mistake

So I'm going to a MP C305 and I have to replace the bypass separation pad. I get to the account I take the machine apart to replace the pad which I do without incident. I put the machine back together and then I close the right door and then I went to open it back up and it wouldn't open. I couldn't figure out what I had done to make this happen and I tried to not force the door open but could not get this thing to cooperate with me. I ended up getting frustrated I forced the door open and I broke the duplex frame and the fuser release arm on the front side. When this happened, I saw what I had done to cause this. I neglected to replace the strap that goes from the release handle to the actual latch. Frustrated, I ordered the parts I needed. I returned a few days later with the parts and I replaced the duplex frame and the future release arm and I told myself to not forget the strap. I went into autopilot mode and reassembled everything. I got done, I then close the door and to my horror I FORGOT THE DAMN STRAP AGAIN!!!!!! Needless to say, I was beside myself! There was no way I was going to break this door again. I was hunting around trying to figure out what to do about this. What I did was I was able to get to the bottom hinges of the door from underneath the machine somehow get the e-clips off of them and force the hinge pins out of the hinges. That gave me a little bit of play in the door. I was able to get the top of the door out and grab the bottom edge of the door and twisted in a counterclockwise direction and the latch let go, much to my relief. I then promptly reattached the strap put the hinges back together, verified it's operation and then got the hell out of there!

Not one of my finest days my 20-plus years of doing this!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Good for a laugh. Bone head mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Qball View Post
    So I'm going to a MP C305 and I have to replace the bypass separation pad. I get to the account I take the machine apart to replace the pad which I do without incident. I put the machine back together and then I close the right door and then I went to open it back up and it wouldn't open. I couldn't figure out what I had done to make this happen and I tried to not force the door open but could not get this thing to cooperate with me. I ended up getting frustrated I forced the door open and I broke the duplex frame and the fuser release arm on the front side. When this happened, I saw what I had done to cause this. I neglected to replace the strap that goes from the release handle to the actual latch. Frustrated, I ordered the parts I needed. I returned a few days later with the parts and I replaced the duplex frame and the future release arm and I told myself to not forget the strap. I went into autopilot mode and reassembled everything. I got done, I then close the door and to my horror I FORGOT THE DAMN STRAP AGAIN!!!!!! Needless to say, I was beside myself! There was no way I was going to break this door again. I was hunting around trying to figure out what to do about this. What I did was I was able to get to the bottom hinges of the door from underneath the machine somehow get the e-clips off of them and force the hinge pins out of the hinges. That gave me a little bit of play in the door. I was able to get the top of the door out and grab the bottom edge of the door and twisted in a counterclockwise direction and the latch let go, much to my relief. I then promptly reattached the strap put the hinges back together, verified it's operation and then got the hell out of there!

Not one of my finest days my 20-plus years of doing this!

Gotta Love Those "Note-to-Self" Moments!!!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Welcome to the human race, planet earth, 3rd rock from the sun...

I've had the odd auto-pilot moment.
    Not as memorable as yours by the looks.

I've used the self Post-it-Note on occasions:
    Dear self.

Yes self, remind me to boot self up the rear-end when I get home.

Okay self...

Done!...(ouch!)...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Good for a laugh.  Bone head mistake

What's truly impressive is that you managed to make the same stupid mistake TWICE, exactly the same way! Congratulations on finding the sense of humor to share this with us.

Someday I'll tell you how I got my arm stuck in a FS532 finisher. Only once, but once was enough for anybody's lifetime. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    What's truly impressive is that you managed to make the same stupid mistake TWICE, exactly the same way! Congratulations on finding the sense of humor to share this with us.

Someday I'll tell you how I got my arm stuck in a FS532 finisher. Only once, but once was enough for anybody's lifetime. =^..^=
    Well, you have to be able to laugh at yourself. Otherwise you'll turn into a crabby SOB!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Oh com'on Blackcat you're nearly famous, share it around ...

Let me share a little insight into Dave's demur:
    (Click the below link)

Ballads/Poems/Lyrical Inspiration

It's just all in a days work for some....
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Oh com'on Blackcat you're nearly famous, share it around ...

Let me share a little insight into Dave's demur:
    (Click the below link)

Ballads/Poems/Lyrical Inspiration

It's just all in a days work for some....
    That was outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Oh common Blackcat you're nearly famous, share it around ...

Ok, Ok.

So my customer does a lot of LTR-R booklets in this FS-532 finisher, and quite often leaves a few in the back of the finisher, behind the stacker tray and SD-510. I had my arm shoved in there almost to the elbow and was about 25mm short of reaching the paper. With one huge shove I got the elbow past, and reached the booklet! Hooray!!

Usually I'm on this site by myself, but purely by accident the salesman was there with me. After about 10 minutes of pushing and pulling, and not really getting anywhere, I finally decided I was going to need some help.

"Hey Rick ... I seem to have a problem."
    "What kind of a problem?
    "...um, I seem to be stuck."

I'm on my knees, leaning on my left arm, and up to the shoulder in the finisher. Rick knows which end of the screwdriver to hold, but that's about as far as it goes for him.

"You see that screwdriver on the floor? Can you remove the screws that hold that rail?"
    "What screws?"
    "Just remove any screws you can see."

This is about when the numbness and tingling starts in earnest. I'm trying to find that "comfortable" position, but I don't think there is one. Each time Rick leans on the finisher I feel another zing from the pinched nerve. He's got about 20 screws on the floor now, but nothing has moved yet.

Rick says "We should call the fire department."
    "What do you think the fire department will do? They'll get the Jaws-Of-Life and chew a big piece out of this finisher."
    "What else can we do?"
    "Maybe there's another tech in the area. Use my phone and call the dispatcher. Find out who's close."

So he makes the call. The nearest tech is 40 miles/40 minutes away and is re-directed to my location. I don't feel the arm at all any more, and I don't think that's a good thing.

"Let's try this again Rick. Can you see the rail on the left side? Are there any screws in it?"
    "How's the arm?"
    "It doesn't hurt anymore. Look for those screws."
    "There's only one left ... right here."

Then the SD-510 drops about 2 inches, and the tingling returns to my arm and it slides right out. The first call is to the tech, to go on to his next call. The next call is to the manager. No I won't be taking a finisher home with me.

I did learn something. If your arm doesn't quite fit, don't continue to shove until it's irretrievably stuck. And if you do, bring along a salesman to save your ass. =^..^=

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Ok, Ok.

So my customer does a lot of LTR-R booklets in this FS-532 finisher, and quite often leaves a few in the back of the finisher, behind the stacker tray and SD-510. I had my arm shoved in there almost to the elbow and was about 25mm short of reaching the paper. With one huge shove I got the elbow past, and reached the booklet! Hooray!!

Usually I'm on this site by myself, but purely by accident the salesman was there with me. After about 10 minutes of pushing and pulling, and not really getting anywhere, I finally decided I was going to need some help.

"Hey Rick ... I seem to have a problem."
    "What kind of a problem?
    "...um, I seem to be stuck."

I'm on my knees, leaning on my left arm, and up to the shoulder in the finisher. Rick knows which end of the screwdriver to hold, but that's about as far as it goes for him.

"You see that screwdriver on the floor? Can you remove the screws that hold that rail?"
    "What screws?"
    "Just remove any screws you can see."

This is about when the numbness and tingling starts in earnest. I'm trying to find that "comfortable" position, but I don't think there is one. Each time Rick leans on the finisher I feel another zing from the pinched nerve. He's got about 20 screws on the floor now, but nothing has moved yet.

Rick says "We should call the fire department."
    "What do you think the fire department will do? They'll get the Jaws-Of-Life and chew a big piece out of this finisher."
    "What else can we do?"
    "Maybe there's another tech in the area. Use my phone and call the dispatcher. Find out who's close."

So he makes the call. The nearest tech is 40 miles/40 minutes away and is re-directed to my location. I don't feel the arm at all any more, and I don't think that's a good thing.

"Let's try this again Rick. Can you see the rail on the left side? Are there any screws in it?"
    "How's the arm?"
    "It doesn't hurt anymore. Look for those screws."
    "There's only one left ... right here."

Then the SD-510 drops about 2 inches, and the tingling returns to my arm and it slides right out. The first call is to the tech, to go on to his next call. The next call is to the manager. No I won't be taking a finisher home with me.

I did learn something. If your arm doesn't quite fit, don't continue to shove until it's irretrievably stuck. And if you do, bring along a salesman to save your ass. =^..^=
    I think you have posted this before because I remember reading most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I think you have posted this before because I remember reading most of it.
    It's the CRS. =^..^=