Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MPC4502 Dead

Re: MPC4502 Dead

Check everything from the wall socket, right through to PSU. Do you get a power light? Power light with or without startup noises / fans?

If the PSU looks good, run the machine with both front and right hand door open. This will stop the fuser and laser from running, it won't eliminate them entirely, but it could help.

In the UK we have fused plugs, have had a few PAT'ers replace the 13amp fuse with a 3/5amp, blown within the same day. They don't seem to understand that these machines need those fuses...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

I had one go dead 2 days after install, once i pulled the back i found the white and black "F" connections to the power supply were loose the plastic part was connected but the wire inside the plastic was not pulled all the way through so it looked like it was plugged on all the way but the wire was barely touching the terminal inside.

You can put a multimeter against the terminals make sure there is power actually hitting the PSU. If you got power from the wall, through the cord, and on the terminals then probable that something is wrong with the power supply unit.

Cool Re: MPC4502 Dead

If you really want to know what killed the psu though the first thing is to disconnect the IR power pack board. Then the laser and finally your controller box in any order you prefer. See what happens.

There is always the possibility something happen just prior to your arrival, including a power cut in the office or a cleaner d/c the machine by mistake to plug in their hoover.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC4502 Dead

I have had instances where a shorted motor has caused a power supply to shut down. Check all motor that are switched to ground to operate for internal shorts to ground. If you find one, leave it disconnected and see if the machine will power up.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have had instances where a shorted motor has caused a power supply to shut down. Check all motor that are switched to ground to operate for internal shorts to ground. If you find one, leave it disconnected and see if the machine will power up.
    A bound up motor will also cause excessive current draw, which can damage other things. On one of the older models I was working on a locked toner feed motor released the magic smoke from the IOB. Literally. It smelled so bad that the people had pushed the machine into the parking lot by the time I got there, and they would only let me move the machine inside one one of the lesser used entryways until I fixed the machine.
    Last edited by Iowatech; 07-09-2016 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Needed to get rid of stuff I found useless, sorry.