Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP C4000 Thick 2 Noises

I have a MP C4000 that when i print on thick 2 it makes a pretty bad groaning noise and also a high pitched noise. I just wanted yalls opinion because i believe it has something to do with the transfer belt and maybe also the yellow pcu as the sound seems to be coming right from the transfer belt cleaning section but i'm not positive. It is also strange to me that it only does this when printing on thick 2, i guess because all the parts turn slower, but why would the parts turning slower cause a noise as opposed to when it is at normal speed?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

Re: MP C4000 Thick 2 Noises

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    when i print on thick 2 it makes a pretty bad groaning noise and also a high pitched noise.It is also strange to me that it only does this when printing on thick 2,?
    the first thing to do is to check Fusing Unit
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP C4000 Thick 2 Noises

As Bob says the first thing to do is try a new fuser. After that go into SP 5804 and run all the motors at different speeds and see if that replicates the noise for you.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

I got caught out on this a few years back. My fault was caused by a worn drum unit, I presumed it was the fuser when on a different media setting. Output mode on a slow speed might help.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Could be a PCU worn out in slower speed the cleaning blade might be dragging or the transfer belt cleaning unit blade could be dragging on the belt. I have found labels stuck to cleaning units before making noise against the ITB. Check your PMs a lot of machine i come across ITB cleaning units never get replaced on yield guys let them run till its a problem. I prefer to replace the cleaning unit every 2cd or 3rd K pcu replacements depending on how much color they run. The fuser on the model tends to run pretty well even if you use the fuser in a box replacement, most of the time the belt gets damaged showing quality problems before anything else.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Yup turns out my instinct was correct...the cleaning blades were worn out in both the transfer belt and yellow drum unit. Replaced those and it ran nice and smooth and quiet! Thanks for the input!