Thread: Ricoh MP-C2551

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Ricoh MP-C2551

The customer is running a special laminated paper through the copier. I am not sure of the paper weight. However, the paper is glossy, as laminated paper would be, and the customer is getting poor fixing after the third copy of a multi-copy run. Which of the temperature adjustments should be increased to help with the fixing, and to what value? Thank you for any help given.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP-C2551

In the paper type menu in user tools there should be an option for glossy paper. Also try to get an idea of the paper weight in case you need to set it to thick or middle thick etc.

I have had plenty of customers run heavy or odd paper through the machine with the settings still set to standard weight letter. Doesn't work out so great.

It may not be a problem of temperature but a problem of how fast the machine is trying to run the paper through the fuser.

If you do choose to adjust the fuser temperature there is usually a SP for each weight of paper. Though I don't think you can raise it much without the machine locking up or the thermostats popping.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP-C2551

1. Make sure that the "glossy" paper is listed as being for use in laser printers. If it is not, you run the risk of damaging the fusing unit, the glossy coating can bubble and stick to the hot roller.
    2. Check that the fusing unit is not due for a PM. If PM is due or nearly due, toner film build up on the hot roller will cause for inconsistent fusing temperature.
    3. Trial and error method to determine the correct combination of paper type and paper thickness settings in the print driver if printing or in User Tools if copying. If printing, the tray must be set for "Driver/Command" in user tools.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

For any of this to work, there should be OEM toner in the machine. It has been my observation that aftermarket toner works even less well than OEM if they need to use what appears to be unrecommended paper.
    I might be wrong, though. If that paper stock is in the list of recommended paper for that machine, please show that. We can't see that machine or what it is doing like you can after all.
    And here's the dilemma: for poor fusing the fusing temperature or pressure or time the paper spends passing through the fusing unit needs to be increased. (Or (hopefully) you may just need to replace the hot roller.) But if the temperature, time or pressure is increased, it may melt the lamination, which would lead to far more stupid and wrong things happening.