Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Re: MP C3004 SP mode language selection?

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    No worries people. We've been in this business for over thirty years (i.e. not our first rodeo.) All will be done according to procedure. I just posted this as an interesting problem for all yall's consideration and as a service exercise. Most of the feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Ricoh tech support is recommending we replace the controller and nvram. (Not optimistic this is the fix.) BTW. I have a report on
    Ricoh's tech bulletin board of another one with exact same issues. Will try to follow up on this thread. Thanks again for the feedback.
    Last edited by DRichard; 07-22-2016 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo

I apologize for posting on an old thread - but I ran into this issue in the field today and was able to resolve it.. hopefully it might help someone.

The problem was exactly as described on original post. I tried reseating all connections on IOB and BCU and didn't help. Per Ricoh support - replace controller. I wasn't confident in that and found the "Isolation diagram" in the service manual - this led me to the Imaging IOB behind the swing out controller case. After reseating all connections on that, the machine powered right up and no further issues. Hope this helps.

For your consideration...I have a new, out-of-box MP C3004 that among other problems has Asian script in service mode screens which are other wise useless in that you cannot maneuver within service mode once initially in. How do you select English for SP screen on these new smart op panels? BTW, also has SC665-08 at power on, no mechanics (fans, motors) initialize, user tools screen is incomplete, no functions among other things. Have had a couple of dozen of this new series copier with no problems until now. Ironically, we ordered this particular copier to have on hand for upcoming training classes on this new series. I know it's FUBAR and I am going to reflash firmware but I do like a project when we slow down around here. Discuss among yourselves

Hi DRichard,

Can you post how you resolved this issue please? We have been advised by Ricoh to replace IOB and controller so far with no luck, possibly NVRAM next after seeing your post.

Quote Originally Posted by antpellegrino View Post
    I apologize for posting on an old thread - but I ran into this issue in the field today and was able to resolve it.. hopefully it might help someone.

The problem was exactly as described on original post. I tried reseating all connections on IOB and BCU and didn't help. Per Ricoh support - replace controller. I wasn't confident in that and found the "Isolation diagram" in the service manual - this led me to the Imaging IOB behind the swing out controller case. After reseating all connections on that, the machine powered right up and no further issues. Hope this helps.
    Wow. This was about a year ago so I had to wait to get with another of our techs who was on this with me in order to jog each other's memories. We both eventually remembered the final fix for this after replacing boards and NVRAM was to make sure SP 5996 = 2 (for NA).
    Sorry if this doesn't help.

Wow. This was about a year ago so I had to wait to get with another of our techs who was on this with me in order to jog each other's memories. We both eventually remembered the final fix for this after replacing boards and NVRAM was to make sure SP 5996 = 2 (for NA).
    Fingers crossed, i will keep this thread updated.

Found some other earlier models have "Area Selection" on factory SP mode (clear 143 stop stop) SP5807 (=2 for N.A.)

Quote Originally Posted by mlandry71 View Post
    Found some other earlier models have "Area Selection" on factory SP mode (clear 143 stop stop) SP5807 (=2 for N.A.)
    Eureka!

For your consideration...I have a new, out-of-box MP C3004 that among other problems has Asian script in service mode screens which are other wise useless in that you cannot maneuver within service mode once initially in. How do you select English for SP screen on these new smart op panels? BTW, also has SC665-08 at power on, no mechanics (fans, motors) initialize, user tools screen is incomplete, no functions among other things. Have had a couple of dozen of this new series copier with no problems until now. Ironically, we ordered this particular copier to have on hand for upcoming training classes on this new series. I know it's FUBAR and I am going to reflash firmware but I do like a project when we slow down around here. Discuss among yourselves
    UPDATE. Another of our techs just repaired one of these with EXACTLY the same set of symptoms! His final fix was to replace the Transport IOB (behind the Power Supply Board) and to clean the flex cable(s) and their connectors with alcohol. I'm not sure if one or the other was causing the problem as he didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and moved on as quickly as possible. Ricoh tech support and HyTec support both had recommendations of NVRAMs, Controller and BCU boards. Loose connections on boards were also possibilities. Gregory at Ricoh appears to have been the most helpful.