Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: mpc2800 sc543 overheat

Why pull a perfectly good machine when it requires just one part to fix it?
    I don't consider a complete fuser as one part but a collection of many parts. The currency is pound sterling (UK London), and the cost of a brand new complete fuser is something that would cause my boss to have fits. Our market is second hand copiers, we may fit all new parts in a fuser, we may swap a fuser from another copier, but a brand new one, no. There has to be reason that causes the runaway temperature rise, a specific reason or part, and only on the 2800. Consider the possibility of fitting an expensive brand new fuser for it to overheat and have a meltdown again ! Thermistors, bushes, thermopile, PSU, I/O board, BICU, where does the fault lie ?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts gkalman2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Unfortunately, as mentioned in countless threads about SC's 543 and 553 on the Athena and Diana series of machines, the only permanent fix is to replace the complete fuser. It doesn't matter how much it costs if it fixes the machine. Why pull a perfectly good machine when it requires just one part to fix it? Look after the pennies and the pounds (or whatever currency you use) look after themselves. Even fixing used copiers requires outlay.
    Sorry i'm not agree with you guys. I have to work with more than 104 ricoh machines from where more than half is second hand mpc 2800/3300 and i never buyed a new fuser unit .
    I only changed thermistors, sometimes the harness, lamp, belt, more times ball bearing's and bushings but i never buyed any new fuser unit.

When you change everything in a fuser.... you have a new fuser period.

And to change a harness you don't need a wiring diagram if you make a picture with your mobile before you take out the old one you will know how to put back the new one.

Price: harness ~$19.00 + aw100105 ~$34.95 +
    AW100119 $14.95 + bushing $7.95 (x2) +ball bearings $14.95 (x2) = under $100
    VS Fusing Price ~$507

Ps. also i can buy for $540 one second hand MPC3300 so why ask for fuser??
    Last edited by gkalman2004; 08-09-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

have you tried the thermopile, i believe there is one on the machine side behind the fuser. Only once have I had one go bad and it resulted in intermittent sc codes it would work for a day then for a few mins then another day or two. I had rebuilt the fuser and tested everything else which narrowed it down to the thermopile on the base machine.

Otherwise try a new bulb.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

also i can buy for $540 one second hand MPC3300 so why ask for fuser??
    had to laugh at this because its so true. The boss needs a fuser so he buys a complete machine to scavange.

I had rebuilt the fuser and tested everything else which narrowed it down to the thermopile on the base machine.
    Good suggestion, even though we have used scavanged thermopiles from other 'working ok' previously machines. The trouble with 'tested everything' before narrowing it down to the thermopile as you say, the newly rebuilt fuser goes into immediate meltdown and you will hear the fusing belt crackling away straight out of the gate when you get it wrong. The fuser dies every time we get it wrong, and customers get agitated with the constant breakdown. If the 'temperature display' shows the center temperature running away before dropping again, then surely the thermopile is working because it is reading the temperature, but it would not actually cause the temperture to rise as such ?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts gkalman2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    had to laugh at this because its so true. The boss needs a fuser so he buys a complete machine to scavange.

Good suggestion, even though we have used scavanged thermopiles from other 'working ok' previously machines. The trouble with 'tested everything' before narrowing it down to the thermopile as you say, the newly rebuilt fuser goes into immediate meltdown and you will hear the fusing belt crackling away straight out of the gate when you get it wrong. The fuser dies every time we get it wrong, and customers get agitated with the constant breakdown. If the 'temperature display' shows the center temperature running away before dropping again, then surely the thermopile is working because it is reading the temperature, but it would not actually cause the temperture to rise as such ?

THE HARNESS make contact between the fuser and the rest of the machine so when is bad it give also intermittent sc codes
    When the belt crack you need bushings, gears too and new ball bearings also, not only thermopile

You either replace the fusing unit, or risk changing enough parts that end up costing more than the fusing unit did. Not to mention the time taken to resolve the fault.

I have had success replacing the connector block and harness on a 3000 with SC553/543, maybe the same for you.