Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: HDD Replacement - Any Model

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Did you contact Ricoh and ask for engineering help? Also, check with HDD manufacturers to see if their disk are hermetically sealed. Unless you are purchasing used drives, most have a manufacturer's warranty of 3 to 5 years. If i t is under warranty, the customer should not have to pay again, other than labor.
    Most platun HDD's have a small vacuum pressure release hole in the top of the HDD metal case.
    The hole is located in line with the label that says "Do not cover this hole."
    Given an extremely dusty enviroment I believe dirt could find it's way inside the HDD unit.

The HDD I have in my hand ATM also says "Warranty will be void if this unit experiences a shock greater than 350g's".
    A platun HDD can take a serious bump before they give up. I've witness first hand an angry bloke round house punch a portable video camera another person was filming with. My first thought was the HDD is gone in the camera for sure. I believe the video camera works fine to this day.

Re: Which is better, SSD v's HDD.
    The jury is out for me, I don't have enough feed back to tell one way or the other.
    It's a point of read/write reliability verses data access speed. It's horses for coarses in some cases.
    I will put that question to the computer Techs next time I run into them.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[ง]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ก | x | •[ง]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zames77 View Post
    The reason I ask is I visited a building site yesterday and had to replace the HDD, at the customers cost. Building dust had contaminated the platter, he was non too pleased as it's the second replacement this year. He asked about the SSHD, which in terms of environmental conditions causing failures is a sound idea. Initial cost vs a few replacements a year weighed against the potential read write thrashing issue, might turn out to be a completely pointless exercise.

Cheers for the input guys. I might give it whirl and feed back any interesting findings.
    When you say contamination of the platter, could you explain a bit futher or if you have a pic, upload it. I have open plenty of hdd and never seen one with contamination, it's either the drive controller failed or damage to the disk surface. There are still a lot of techs and customers who don't know that the copier shoud not be moved, shifted, push ect. while on. This is the cause of a lot of hdd failures as the hdd head scratches the surface and cause bad sectors and premature failure.
    The only thing preventing ssd to be used on copiers today are the cost. kyocera already has optional slots on some of the smaller mfp that are for ssd cards and their new line up also is in incorporating them as options for job storage ect. Buy a drive like the one below and experiment at your shop machine, it's cheap enough

Kingston HyperX Savage SSD 240GB 7mm 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive(SSD), Read: 560MB/s Write: 530MB/s (SHSS37A/240G)

Our Price
    $116.99

HyperXฎ Savage solid-state drive offers extreme performance for the
    extreme performer. The fastest HyperX SATA-based SSD, it's powered by a
    quad-core, 8-channel Phison S10 controller that delivers incredible speeds
    up to 560MB/s read and 530MB/s write, with read/write IOPS up to 100k/89k.
    The result is ultra-responsive multitasking and an overall faster system that
    maintains performance even as the drive fills up.

With its low profile and slim, 7mm form factor, HyperX Savage SSD fits in most
    notebooks, desktops and HTPC builds. Its unique look, with high-quality red
    steel and aluminum casing and diamond-cut design, helps you stand out in
    the crowd and complements the latest PC hardware.

It's available in a bundle kit that includes everything you need to install
    Savage in your existing system, including a USB 3.0 enclosure to transfer data
    from 2.5" hard drives; a 2.5"-3.5" adapter to mount in a desktop environment;
    SATA data cable; multi-bit screwdriver and Acronisฎ data migration software.
    HyperX Savage SSD is 100-percent factory tested and backed by a three-year
    warranty, free technical support and legendary reliability.

More Information:

• Manufacturer: Kingston Technology Company
    • Manufacturer Part Number: SHSS37A/240G
    • Manufacturer Website Address: http://www.kingston.com
    • Brand Name: Kingston
    • Product Line: HyperX Savage
    • Product Name: HyperX Savage Solid State Drive
    • Product Type: Solid State Drive
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

[QUOTE=subaro;530324]When you say contamination of the platter, could you explain a bit futher or if you have a pic, upload it. I have open plenty of hdd and never seen one with contamination, it's either the drive controller failed or damage to the disk surface. There are still a lot of techs and customers who don't know that the copier shoud not be moved, shifted, push ect. while on. This is the cause of a lot of hdd failures as the hdd head scratches the surface and cause bad sectors and premature failure.
    The only thing preventing ssd to be used on copiers today are the cost. kyocera already has optional slots on some of the smaller mfp that are for ssd cards and their new line up also is in incorporating them as options for job storage ect. Buy a drive like the one below and experiment at your shop machine, it's cheap enough

The machine is sat in a container which they use as the site office. It's filthy, building dust covers everything. I opened the back of the machine up, it was covered in thick ust. The HDD was covered. When I got back to the shop and split it open, there was a coating of dust laying on the top platter. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow when I get back to the office.

[QUOTE=zames77;530391]
    Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    When you say contamination of the platter, could you explain a bit futher or if you have a pic, upload it. I have open plenty of hdd and never seen one with contamination, it's either the drive controller failed or damage to the disk surface. There are still a lot of techs and customers who don't know that the copier shoud not be moved, shifted, push ect. while on. This is the cause of a lot of hdd failures as the hdd head scratches the surface and cause bad sectors and premature failure.

The machine is sat in a container which they use as the site office. It's filthy, building dust covers everything. I opened the back of the machine up, it was covered in thick ust. The HDD was covered. When I got back to the shop and split it open, there was a coating of dust laying on the top platter. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Thanks for the reply. What you have described there is typical of some of our installations. We have machines in cement plants and i am amazed that those machines still work when they come back to the shop. Your salesman has to be the one to come to a resolution about drive replacement cost ect. Some techs will not work on machine with those conditions.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

[QUOTE=zames77;530391]
    Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post

I hope your contract cost takes into account the hideous conditions that machine is in lol.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

SSD's are perfect for copy machines. They are very durable and fast. With the way copy company's charge for HD's you have a ton of room to shop around and buy a better HD and pass on the rest of the savings. I usually just pass on the savings of buying the exact same drive online. Customers might be very happy with you if you showed them the initial estimate cost.

SSD's are better than HDD's in every aspect except cost per gig. I don't like SSHD's because you still have all the reliability downsides of an HDD.

Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

Here's a few pictures of the drive and intake fan. The picture of the platter doesn't really show just how covered it was, but you get the idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by zames77 View Post
    Here's a few pictures of the drive and intake fan. The picture of the platter doesn't really show just how covered it was, but you get the idea?
    Your immediate solution might be to have more frequent machine cleaning . The salesman should have had the facts about the machine location and the environment it would be in. I don't think you need another type of hard drive, just increase the service intervals. More risk relates to higher service fees and cost, again your salesman has to do his job.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I had a few machines in a similar situation: they were in a coal mine office. I ended up having to mod up some filtres for all of the intake fans using a pair of nylons my wife didn't need anymore. I just cut out squares the size of the fans and placed them on the front side. It worked fairly well since I could just run the vac across the outside vents and get a good chunk of the dust out of the airflow path.

Whoever decided to put an MP C7500 in that dirty of an environment and expect it to work should be slapped.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HDD Replacement - Any Model

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

Whoever decided to put an MP C7500 in that dirty of an environment and expect it to work should be slapped.
    Whoever decided to put an MP C7500 in any location and expect it to work should be slapped!