Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

HDD Replacement - Any Model

Just wondering, cost aside, anyone tried fitting a SSHD yet?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: HDD Replacement - Any Model

Assuming that this would be in an effort to increase speed, I can't imagine a SSHD making any sort of difference, if it even works at all.

The parts that make an MFP slow or fast usually have nothing to do with the HDD.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Assuming that this would be in an effort to increase speed, I can't imagine a SSHD making any sort of difference, if it even works at all.

The parts that make an MFP slow or fast usually have nothing to do with the HDD.

While the above maybe so, the conventional hdd still works by mechanical disk head movement and is a weak point, though is has be for the most part reliable. The SSD are entirely electronic switches that can fail like any computer circuit, but is more robust and can withstand shock ect. Failures in hdd can be caused by vibration and sudden shock that causes the read/write head to produce outright failure and intermittent problem, which sometimes sends a tech on a journey of discovery. So IMO, the SSD is a welcome introduction . The newer laptops and ipads used them and they can be banged around unlike a normal laptop.

Below is a quote from one manufacturer introduction model lineup.
    The Standard 8GB SSD is used for improved response time from Warm-up and Recovery from Sleep.
    There is no Fax System Memory Option. The Fax System uses 170MB of the 8GB SSD for page storage, etc. Memory Reception supports 7,000 sheets or more.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

I'm with Subaro here.

Hp has been fitting SSD to even their small desktop printers, for some time now. Some as small as 8GB - complete with SSD cables!

It is definitely more robust.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

There's one major issue with using SSD's that I can see: SSD's still have a smaller write life compared to standard HDD's. With most copiers doing multiple writes and erases in a single day, you run the risk of having a shorter lifetime for the device. There's also the fact that while desktop and server operating systems can use features such as TRIM to better manage SSD's, you're likely not going to find that kind of feature in an MFP's embedded OS (generally some flavour of NetBSD) that's likely optimised for managing a traditional spinning disk. The drive is their for storage as opposed to launching an operating system so you're really not gaining any kind of performance or reducing latency in making the change.

Think of it this way: it's no different than a desktop PC that needs a large amount of storage: you're going to install an SSD for the operating system and use spinning rust for your bulk storage. In MFP terms, the operating system is already on flash memory on the system board, so the drive is just being used as a swap and scratch location.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Putting and SSD in a copier seems like putting lipstick on a pig.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Angry Re: HDD Replacement - Any Model

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    Putting and SSD in a copier seems like putting lipstick on a pig.
    Damn! Are we STILL making Sarah Palin jokes?!

Tweak it till it breaks! 100+ Posts zames77's Avatar

The reason I ask is I visited a building site yesterday and had to replace the HDD, at the customers cost. Building dust had contaminated the platter, he was non too pleased as it's the second replacement this year. He asked about the SSHD, which in terms of environmental conditions causing failures is a sound idea. Initial cost vs a few replacements a year weighed against the potential read write thrashing issue, might turn out to be a completely pointless exercise.

Cheers for the input guys. I might give it whirl and feed back any interesting findings.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zames77 View Post
    The reason I ask is I visited a building site yesterday and had to replace the HDD, at the customers cost. Building dust had contaminated the platter, he was non too pleased as it's the second replacement this year. He asked about the SSHD, which in terms of environmental conditions causing failures is a sound idea. Initial cost vs a few replacements a year weighed against the potential read write thrashing issue, might turn out to be a completely pointless exercise.

Cheers for the input guys. I might give it whirl and feed back any interesting findings.
    Interesting. We've got some units it very dusty places, a metal fab shop, office next to a sawmill, and a car scarpyard. Haven't had that kill an HDD yet.

In your situation an SSD may make sense. See if you can find one that automatically does wear leveling and it might last a few years. Even if only last two years the customer probably comes out ahead price wise.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    HDD Replacement - Any Model

Quote Originally Posted by zames77 View Post

Did you contact Ricoh and ask for engineering help? Also, check with HDD manufacturers to see if their disk are hermetically sealed. Unless you are purchasing used drives, most have a manufacturer's warranty of 3 to 5 years. If i t is under warranty, the customer should not have to pay again, other than labor.