Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

MP401 Somethings fishy here.

We have a customer with a 401 with just over 12k copies on. Got a call today for lines on the copies. Go to it and there are two lines gouged deep into the drum cartridge. This happened before about two months ago. Very similar lines, very similar spacing.

d9A8ETc.jpg

I added the staple myself, but it sure does look interesting.

No one would be dumb enough to try to copy onto a piece of paper with a staple in it right? RIGHT?

I looked around inside the machine all over and didn't see anything inside that would lead me to believe something was in there to damage the drum.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP401 Somethings fishy here.

Re: MP401 Somethings fishy here.

Either nicks on the cleaning blade or toner clods on the cleaning. You did not provide a picture of the drum. Have you confirmed that it is scratches on the drum surface and not being caused by a dirty charge roller?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Either nicks on the cleaning blade or toner clods on the cleaning. You did not provide a picture of the drum. Have you confirmed that it is scratches on the drum surface and not being caused by a dirty charge roller?
    I can physically feel two furrows in the surface of the drum, I tried brushing the toner line off the surface of the drum to see if it was just a damaged cleaning blade and I could feel the damage.

When I go back to replace the cartridge next week I'll take a picture of it.

We replaced a drum cartridge mid June for the exact same reason, which Is why I'm starting to wonder what the hell is happening.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

In short, the Stella PCU's are shit. Utter shit. You are VERY lucky if they make it to 30k.

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post

No one would be dumb enough to try to copy onto a piece of paper with a staple in it right? RIGHT?
    Never underestimate the stupidity of end users.
    A staple in a piece of paper would impact but you'd just see 2 large spots rather than line. If the staple fell in and was dragged into the machine and got lodged in the drum housing then possibly. I primarily work on Xerox & Canons so I'm not sure about the internal mechanics on other devices and the drums are kept well away from the paper path on those machines so staples impact the transfer belt instead causing the single dot marks, or get stuck in the transfer belt cleaner this would cause such marks.

I did once have a customer who tried to print on paper after she had put it in a laminating pouch because she though as the fuser got hot it would laminate and print at the same time. So never discount how stupid some people are.
    You first starting point of diagnosis is to presume they are lying to you until proved otherwise.

Customer - "No we never put fake toner in the machine you have just fixed. The streaks are because you didn't fix it properly last time, 6 months ago"
    Me - "Please explain why there is an invoice on the machine and the itemized lines state 1) compatible toner for Xerox Phaser XXXX and 2) Toner cartridge re-set chip for Xerox Phaser XXXX?"

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    In short, the Stella PCU's are shit. Utter shit. You are VERY lucky if they make it to 30k.
    I've heard they are bad, but 6k seems unreasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Jake2o View Post
    Never underestimate the stupidity of end users.
    A staple in a piece of paper would impact but you'd just see 2 large spots rather than line. If the staple fell in and was dragged into the machine and got lodged in the drum housing then possibly.
    Which makes sense. But this has happened to TWO cartridges.

I have someone with a high end Xerox that has a high capacity feeder(HCF) on it. The same staple type impact mark kept appearing on the transfer belt (went through 3 in total) I couldn't understand it until one day I went in and he was running the HCF with the top off.
    His explanation was that he could get to jammed paper easier if the lid was off.
    I found that used staples and other bits of debris were falling on to the top sheet of paper and being dragged into the machine, thus causing the marks. People would copy documents but first take the staples out and leave them on the top of the machine and then someone else or the wind would knock them off and they would fall into the HCF.
    Told him to keep the lid on and nothing has happened since. Either a surprise visit or just quietly watch other people use the machine for a while and see what happens, if you spot something most people won't even realize what it they are doing it's like they are auto pilot.

Im having the exact same issue with two customers of mine. Both have MP401SPF and both have had drum issues happen before 20k. It is hard for me to think this is user error. If it is two different customers. Both have been replaced recently, and both are having to be replaced again. Who else is having these gouges on the drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Jehosaphat94 View Post
    Im having the exact same issue with two customers of mine. Both have MP401SPF and both have had drum issues happen before 20k. It is hard for me to think this is user error. If it is two different customers. Both have been replaced recently, and both are having to be replaced again. Who else is having these gouges on the drum?
    Two parallel gouges into the drum surface only a small distance apart?

Sometimes more but always gouges on the right side of the drum unit.