Technician

Ricoh color registration issues

Not liking the D149/150 series right now.
    Have had two devices with similar issue.

MP C5503-Monochrome good. Magenta wouldn't line up. Firmware updated, ITB unit, all PWB's & laser unit recommended by Ricoh still wouldn't go through the SP adjustments correctly. Ran the SP adjustments in correct order.

MP C6003- Monochrome good. Middle looks great, ends are offset and internal skew. Line position adjustment- COARSE passes; FINE Tune fails. Firmware updated, ITB unit replaced. Ricoh went through with tech and ran all SP adjustments in correct order. Ricoh is recommending laser unit, but after the fiasco of the C5503 not being fixed, we are hesitant to order and replace the expensive part.
    No error codes. All three of us are Ricoh certified technicians with a combined experience of over 60 years.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Ricoh color registration issues

What are meters on the two machines?
    PCU's replaced as well?

I have had to replace ID sensors in the past when I serviced 60 color machines for one account. A laser will usually give an error code when they go bad, at least mine did...

I had a C4500 once with same issue, Course (2111 C) worked and fine (2111 A) didn't. I replaced all 4 drums, 4 devs, ITB at same time to solve. Lot of boxes, lol. Very high meters though.

Good Luck

Technician

Meters weren't very high on either one. We gave up on the C5503 (should have mentioned that we started with the pcu's before going through all the hoopla with Ricoh)and the customer has replaced it.

The C6003 has only been in the account for less than 2 yrs. The meter count on it isn't very high which is why the tech started with the ITB unit. I have heard through the tech grapevine that Ricoh only produced this series for one year (2014-2015) due to all the weird issues.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh color registration issues

I know that the 02's had an intermittent problem with slippage on the ITB. Since the belt itself is the same, or at least interchangeable, you could be having a slippage problem. Also make sure that the ID sensor is clean before you do the SP adjustments. If you do so and the color test chart, Printer SP 1103-002, prints correctly but the next day you are off again, replace the entire ITB unit with a NEW one.

If you get an error trying to run the force line position, check the ITB latch. The shaft that the blue handle for disengaging the black transfer roller in the ITB has a latch cam on the back end. If some forces the handle to turn without pushing in on the handle, it can break the latch. This will leave that end of the ITB unit loose. When Process Control is run, such as forced line position, the mechanism that i supposed to open the dust shutter over the ID sensor assembly will cause the ITB to move slightly and the shutter will not fully expose the ID sensor. If this is in fact the problem, you can remove the shutter while you order the latch cam.

Technician

Cool Re: Ricoh color registration issues

***UPDATE***
    I went out 2 days ago and pulled all the pcu's and ITB assemblies out. Cleaned thoroughly. Looking at the Maintenance tab on the op panel I noticed that the Auto Color Calibration & Color Registration had not been ran since 2/2016. Ran these through their paces and had the staff print and all seems to be well. One other thing I noticed was that one of the staff was trying to print a power point that she had cut and pasted various clip art items and blew them up which distorted some of the images when printed. We are waiting an additional week to make sure the issue is resolved before closing out the call. Will update again if issue reappears. Thanks for the responses.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MStalkfleet View Post
    ***UPDATE***
    One other thing I noticed was that one of the staff was trying to print a power point that she had cut and pasted various clip art items and blew them up which distorted some of the images when printed. We are waiting an additional week to make sure the issue is resolved before closing out the call. Will update again if issue reappears. Thanks for the responses.
    Potato quality in, potato quality out.