Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP 201 Side Door Knocking

I have had several problems with the MP 201's side door knocking...I always resolve this by simply replacing the side door. That's an easy fix but I would like to know what exactly is causing that knocking noise. I believe it has something to do with the transfer roller and the hooks holding it in, but just wanted to see if anyone else had run across this issue and has a better way of resolving it than switching the whole side door. Thanks!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: MP 201 Side Door Knocking

Transfer roller bushing cracked on the front (gear) side. Very common

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Bingo, just replace the trasnfer roller assy and you will be good
    "Heavy music to the normal ear is nothing but a loud annoyance. Most people think of it as obnoxious, talentless music but to someone who really listens and is really in love with music knows how beautiful and amazing it can be" Tommy Rogers of Between The Buried and Me"

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    Bingo, just replace the trasnfer roller assy and you will be good
    I have found that toner will build up in the bushings of the transfer roller assembly. If there is no obvious damage, try cleaning the bushings and shaft ends.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Awesome! Didn't even think about the bushings This helps a lot...thanks to everyone!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I've noticed that an easy test is remove the gear from the transfer roller and the noise goes away then you know it is coming from there.
    also it will run without the gear if you have to return with a new one at a later date.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

When fitting a new transfer roller I put a spot of grease in the bushing, stops the break occurring in the first place. Also, a strategically positioned cable tie can close up the gap stopping the knock. Good stop-gap measure if you have to order one.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    I have had several problems with the MP 201's side door knocking...I always resolve this by simply replacing the side door. That's an easy fix but I would like to know what exactly is causing that knocking noise. I believe it has something to do with the transfer roller and the hooks holding it in, but just wanted to see if anyone else had run across this issue and has a better way of resolving it than switching the whole side door. Thanks!
    I Hope that you kept all those good side doors! Just fixing the transfer roller bushing will save you a fortune going forward!
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

B2623802 is the # I have for the transfer roller but I thought I saw somewhere that there is a updated (mod). And do the bushing come with the transfer roller while I'm asking. I had a bunch of junkers that I have been pulling from but about to run out. Thanks!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hadster View Post
    B2623802 is the # I have for the transfer roller but I thought I saw somewhere that there is a updated (mod). And do the bushing come with the transfer roller while I'm asking. I had a bunch of junkers that I have been pulling from but about to run out. Thanks!
    If there has been an update, you should have received the updated part. That is as long as you ordered from Ricoh. And yes they come with the bushings.

The bushings and the shaft inside tend to draw toner and dust which can cause them to bind long before the PM cycle in a dirty machine/location. Remove the bushings from the roller and clean the shaft and inside of the bushings with a clean dry rag or shop towel. Take a picture first so you can be sure to get back it together properly.