ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Ricoh 2851, ccd gets hot.

The original issue was light copies, perfect prints. Optics were clean, and after checking other things I called tech support to verify my feeling that the ccd may be the issue. They agreed. I find a working machine, it test fine, I remove the ccd and install on customers machine. It makes no change. I call tech support to ask if there was a setting I needed to adjust. They say no, that it should work, but since it didn't, it could be the cable or the board it plugs into or the IPU. I go back and change all of those. Still no improvment. I call tech support, and they say that the bad board must have taken out the new ccd. I mention that the ccd is hot, almost too hot to touch. They are sure that one of those boards caused the ccd to go bad, this time I should change everything at once, which I do, and it still is not fixed. Also after sitting for a while, the new ccd got hot. I am at a loss as to what could be the issue, any ideas?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh 2851, ccd gets hot.

I Don't know about the hot CCD. I've never really paid attention to that.
    But in my experience light copies and good prints has always been the PCU nearing the end of it's life. Even though it's been discussed her several times, I'm not sure I've ever heard the explanation for how/why this happens (because it doesn't really make sense) but it does.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

You might want to check the exhaust fan and its ducting. If it is not properly drawing heat from around the fusing unit, the heat will rise up and the ccd is only a few inches above the fusing unit.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I Don't know about the hot CCD. I've never really paid attention to that.
    But in my experience light copies and good prints has always been the PCU nearing the end of it's life. Even though it's been discussed her several times, I'm not sure I've ever heard the explanation for how/why this happens (because it doesn't really make sense) but it does.
    +1 For the PCDU.
    I've found the same issue countless times.
    Print out the counter sheet and it looks awesome...copy it and it looks crap.
    Clean the optics and it makes no difference....replace the PCDU and Bingo....you're back in business.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Changing the pcu allowed me to finally close the call. The thing that confused me was the first time I changed it, I took the bad one back to the shop and put it on my working machine, and it now made faded copies. That is why I got stuck on a bad ccd.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking