Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Any one here have experience with Reflections for HP software?

Got a new customer with a Ricoh MP 5045 and they want to print from this software to the Ricoh. I have no experience with this software but it seems you have to add some kind of code to the software (in this case 198) and this tells the current job to print to that Ricoh. So when the customer is filling out the orders they enter a code Print=(number) and that number is assigned to a printer. I personally don't see this as a copier issue it seems more on the software level but customer is adamant it's the Ricoh because their Kyocera's work fine.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: Any one here have experience with Reflections for HP software?

This is just a guess, but if a PCL driver can be used, I'd think that should probably work. HP came up with PCL after all.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

I may be way out of line here, but it sounds like somebody is being lazy.

AFAIK, it's up to the software author (not necessarily the vendor) to work with the MFP and printer manufacturers and determine what settings need to happen on the device. Most of them publish a supported device list, listing requirements such as Java version, HDD requirements, and even optional memory if needed.

Sometimes they even go as far as telling you how to access user tools and SP mode, but not usually.

If they want to advertise their software as working with different brands, they need to supply the necessary info to make it work.

I work with a bunch of third party enablers, and I can't think of any that don't pave the way to make it all work.

Just because it works OK with one brand, possibly out of the box, the burden is not yours to make it fly with the brand you are working on.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eescamilla View Post
    Got a new customer with a Ricoh MP 5045 and they want to print from this software to the Ricoh. I have no experience with this software but it seems you have to add some kind of code to the software (in this case 198) and this tells the current job to print to that Ricoh. So when the customer is filling out the orders they enter a code Print=(number) and that number is assigned to a printer. I personally don't see this as a copier issue it seems more on the software level but customer is adamant it's the Ricoh because their Kyocera's work fine.
    That "198"....is that an account code to allow it to print to the Ricoh??....has job accounting been enabled on the Ricoh???....that's the only way that I can see that a number would need to be used for a job to print correctly!...and if the customer has to use a number to specify which printer the job goes to, that's DEFINITELY a software issue!...the software developers used a janky way of programming their software to interface with the print driver!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Any one here have experience with Reflections for HP software?

The 198 looks like a device code for the software. This is very common for hospital main frame systems.

Do they have both the Ricoh and the Kyocera on their network? If that is the case,the Kyocera is most likely set as the default printer in the software so the operator does not have to enter the device number for it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    This is just a guess, but if a PCL driver can be used, I'd think that should probably work. HP came up with PCL after all.
    We have PCL6 currently installed but we tried postscript as well

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    That "198"....is that an account code to allow it to print to the Ricoh??....has job accounting been enabled on the Ricoh???....that's the only way that I can see that a number would need to be used for a job to print correctly!...and if the customer has to use a number to specify which printer the job goes to, that's DEFINITELY a software issue!...the software developers used a janky way of programming their software to interface with the print driver!

The 198 is a number assigned to that printer in the software, not a user code though. Like for instance they have to enter "192" when they want to print to their Kyocera. I fully believe this is a software issue but they didn't think so.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The 198 looks like a device code for the software. This is very common for hospital main frame systems.

Do they have both the Ricoh and the Kyocera on their network? If that is the case,the Kyocera is most likely set as the default printer in the software so the operator does not have to enter the device number for it.
    Yeah both are on the network and this is the first time they have a Ricoh device. I tried explaining to the IT guy I was working with that the code number, 198, has to be assigned to that Ricoh copier somehow and he agreed with me, but it was his boss that wasn't having it.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

I don't know the Reflection software.
    If I were to guess I believe it may have the normal user authentication print driver on each PC which sends a print Job authentication to the MFD. When the user presses the operating system PC print button, a menu dialog pops up on screen asking the user to input their ID code before allowing the print job to be sent to the MFD. Some IT allow the print driver to retain the ID code on the PC side of the software, which would allow(in your case) the Kyocera machines to operated with out entering an ID code.

Solution would be to enter the ID code into all the PC's Ricoh printer software; then the staff would not be prompt for an authentication ID every time they press the PC print button. This would also raise minor security concerns with IT as every one will know all PC station print codes, which means IT would not be able to confidently track their staff print jobs.

If all the PC's printing is set up with printer sharing through the server, then IT will have to configure the ID code for each PC driver.

As Iowtech suggest: "May be using another MFD print driver on the PC's" ?

Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ‘ | x | •[§]••• ••••••