Technician

Ricoh Pro 1357 Spraying Toner/Dev

Hi all,

We have a Ricoh Pro 1357 which is spraying Toner/Dev.

An engineer went to it on Monday and the drum carriage and surrounding area was heavily soiled, after a Vac out he left and within two days customer has phoned in to say she has had to wipe the inside of the front doors three times!

Dev unit and Dev have done approx 350k. Toner is genuine and correct.

Any ideas? I'm going in tomorrow to check if its anything silly (I doubt it will be as the last Eng is very good)

Probably looking at Re-deving it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh Pro 1357 Spraying Toner/Dev

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc87 View Post
    Hi all,

We have a Ricoh Pro 1357 which is spraying Toner/Dev.

An engineer went to it on Monday and the drum carriage and surrounding area was heavily soiled, after a Vac out he left and within two days customer has phoned in to say she has had to wipe the inside of the front doors three times!

Dev unit and Dev have done approx 350k. Toner is genuine and correct.

Any ideas? I'm going in tomorrow to check if its anything silly (I doubt it will be as the last Eng is very good)

Probably looking at Re-deving it.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Usually when there is "spewing" of developer/toner in these machines, it is because a filter in the upper section of the developer unit wasn't cleaned/changed and it builds up pressure in the dev unit, thus spewing out dev/toner where the mag roller is.

Good Luck!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Technician

Thanks for the reply, will certainly give that filter a look over tomorrow.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Pro 1357 Spraying Toner/Dev

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Usually when there is "spewing" of developer/toner in these machines, it is because a filter in the upper section of the developer unit wasn't cleaned/changed and it builds up pressure in the dev unit, thus spewing out dev/toner where the mag roller is.

Good Luck!

Pro 1357EX does not have a filter on the development unit. It uses a suction pump, bottle and associated hoses to draw toner haze out of the development unit.

Is the toner mainly toward the front or the back of the machine. If at the back, especially around the toner entry opening to the hopper and on the back end of the charge coronas, replace the toner pump. There was a bulletin out early on about this causing SC 300. Otherwise, it is probably a clogged suction system or bad suction pump. Vacuum out the top plate on the development unit that has the tube that connects to the suction connector. Replace the hose that goes from the connector down to the suction pump, the suction pump, and the suction bottle. Afterwards, the plate should be vacuumed every time developer is replaced. The suction pump and bottle should be replaced every 2.5M. The tube as needed. I have had a couple of the bottles that had a crack near where the large tube from the pump connects. Causes toner haze to be blown out around the jam door A. A layer of hot glue over the crack cures the problem.

Technician

Went back today.

Complete Vac out of all Process units including the airflow strip in the dev unit. Re Dev'd and Toner pump and Air pump has been ordered.

Technician

Machine was given a complete vac out and air pump was fitted about a week ago. Toner pump was only fitted about 200k ago and it's come in again for the same thing...

Other than ordering/trying a new dev unit I'm starting to run out of ideas..

2020 Retired 50+ Posts

Plugged ozone filters have caused me lots of grief on various models over the years.
    Have you checked this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DougD View Post
    Plugged ozone filters have caused me lots of grief on various models over the years.
    Have you checked this one?
    between this filter which is a 15 mil pm and the on that is behind the arm of the LCD screen back right corner between the tray unit and main machine people forget to clean or replace them as needed, I try to clean and check both at PM intervals. I also would go with slimslob on this one the toner suction pumps go out and to many techs will just reset its replacement warning and not replace it at the 400hrs mark or whatever it is, when its failing the toner dusting is very noticeable. Also I believe the developer unit itself is an either a 4 or 8 mil replacement item the doctor blade im sure gets worn down when i get repeated calls on dev spilling or toner dusting and all else has been done if the dev unit itself has 10 mil on it or more I order a new one and replace the whole thing.

Technician

Machine fixed!.......solution? A different Dev unit. Even though the one in there was only 400k old. Put second hand one in with new Dev and it's been two weeks. Before it wouldn't last a day.

Thanks for all your suggestions and insight though. Much appreciated.

its a 1357 it will be back!!!!!!!