Technician

Image is reduced when scanning to email only

Hi all, I am working with a ricoh mp3352 that is a used machine but new to customer.
    When the customer scans to their email, it reduces the image some ( exact reduction not known but I would guess about 6 or 8% ) enough to notice and sometimes show a line, which is the edge of the original being scanned. I was able to fudge it temporarily to get rid of the line by making it slightly larger through the sp for scanner mag., but that has a max limit of 1%.
    Off the glass and through the df for copying, the image is the correct size, it is only scan to email ( I did not have scan to folder set up on this to see if it did it there also)
    Lead edge reg., margins, etc. are all in spec, adjusted for glass and through df
    I checked all non default values in smc report but nothing in there jumps out as something that would cause a scanning issue.

Has anybody seen this before or have any ideas on what would cause this?
    Thanks in advance

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Image is reduced when scanning to email only

In the scanner screen there are scan settings on the left. In the edit tab of that screen there are reduce and enlarge settings. Once you set them to where you want, press program key to set as the screen default.

Good luck

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Clear scan functions with System SP 5801-009. This will reset all scanning settings to factory default: Scannner SP settings, User Tools scan settings AND those settings that are set using the Scan Settings button within the scanning function.

Technician

Thanks for the fast replies guys, I will give this a try and report what happens when the customer gets back in from time off for holidays.

Technician

Well to make a long story short, after I cleared the scan function setting I soon realized it was not a mfp issue.
    The client had a new win10 home version pc which did not have any type of pdf reader, they would receive their emails in outlook and when they went to print, they opened doc in outlook which was printing it as fit to page as a default.
    After their IT guy installed a pdf reader it actually showed more options in the driver which allowed to print (normal) instead of (fit to page).
    I almost feel silly overcomplicating issue, just goes to remind me not to take everything a customer says as what is actually happening but to use the info as a guide.
    Thanks again for the ideas

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Lets hope he installed adobe reader vs using Microsoft "Edge". I have had issues with edge leaving out parts of the pdf when printing. Kinda sucky.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

This was actually fairly common but not so much anymore. Ricoh devices overscan the image but the application to read them (ie Adobe reader) will trim it to the correct size normally. What can happen is that when the enduser updates Adobe Reader, the settings may change from 'fit' or 'actual size' to 'shrink oversized pages'. This will shrink the image down and expose a line from the edge of the white plate that is part of the overscan. You will also see in the print preview that the size scale will indicate something like "8.9 x 11.4 in" above the image instead of "8.5 x 11 in.".
    Also, if they're using the pcl6 driver make sure that "fit to print size" is unchecked in the paper dialog tab section of the printing preferences.