Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

MP4000spf Dog Ear Iintermittent

Very Intermittent. It has gone 300 copies, worked good then I start putting my tools up and it happens.
    Sample is running Landscape and dog ear is on the rear side. It is happening out of tray 1. I tried all other trays but didn’t see it happen in any other tray just tray 1. I swapped paper trays.
    I cleaned the registration roller. I took apart the reg. motor and made sure all was good with the spring and bushing arm. The reg roller gears are perfectly lined up with tension on both sides.
    I checked the mylar that goes into the reg roller. I replaced “Tray 1” feed assembly and the paper guide attached to it. Checked for burs and anything else that could be causing it. The registration is perfectly straight except when this happens. The pic shows the slight skew.

I know it must be before the drum because the image is on the dog ear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwT...ew?usp=sharing

Im not sure why because the images I have are JPG but I couldn't upload them it says invalid, so I did it as a file share from google drive. but not sure if you will be able to see the pics

Any thoughts?
    Izzy

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP4000spf  Dog Ear Iintermittent

Re: MP4000spf Dog Ear Iintermittent

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    Very Intermittent. It has gone 300 copies, worked good then I start putting my tools up and it happens.
    Sample is running Landscape and dog ear is on the rear side. It is happening out of tray 1. I tried all other trays but didn’t see it happen in any other tray just tray 1. I swapped paper trays.
    I cleaned the registration roller. I took apart the reg. motor and made sure all was good with the spring and bushing arm. The reg roller gears are perfectly lined up with tension on both sides.
    I checked the mylar that goes into the reg roller. I replaced “Tray 1” feed assembly and the paper guide attached to it. Checked for burs and anything else that could be causing it. The registration is perfectly straight except when this happens. The pic shows the slight skew.

I know it must be before the drum because the image is on the dog ear.
    Sounds like you might have a small scrap of paper in the tray 1 feed unit.

Im not sure why because the images I have are JPG but I couldn't upload them it says invalid, so I did it as a file share from google drive. but not sure if you will be able to see the pics
    There is a size limit on all image files. Data size: 976.6 KB, Image size: 620X280, file must meet both requirements. I use Irfanview to resize my image files to be within the 620X280 requirements.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

on these ODD happenings i have found:
    a nick on a plastic guide,a missing rib,
    or a small piece of paper or label that i missed...
    i dont have any of these to service so i cant say
    if this pertains to you..good luck

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

check the paper dust collector assembly.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

This is probably wrong, but based on the pictures it looks somewhat like the transfer belt unit might have something to do with this.
    Just my take, but if that was caused by the registration roller, I would kind of expect there to be more evidence of creasing in the blank streaks on the "dogear 1" picture. The fuser on that machine is pretty good at ironing many creases flat, but I'd expect to see more if that was only run through the fuser once.
    I suppose if time permits you might want to check the guides leading into the transfer belt unit area, and maybe remove the belt from the unit and look for a build up of toner on the rollers (toner build up on the rollers in the transfer belt unit was kind of common on that chassis).

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

image is skewed on paper => paper leaves paper tray skewed.
    Happens before the fusing unit, even before reg. rollers =>
    check paper tray and paper stack.
    Is the problem one side only?
    Landscape, you mean LEF or SEF (these are better terms than landscape or portrait)?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

I've had a broken plastic guide in the exit unit, which couldn't be seen until exit unit was remove and top was taken off.
    I've had missing plastic exit guides leading into the bridge unit.
    I've had a metal plate next the reg roller bent out.
    I've had a warped fusing entrance guide.
    I've had a whole sheet of paper drop pass the rollers behind the LHS door cover.
    I've had a partial obstruction behind the transfer unit right in the bottom where you can't see shit.
    I've had broken tray side fences / side fences that don't align to the centre.
    I've had staples and papers clips in the bridge unit and finisher entrance.

All those had caused dog earing for me on the Alex range at some point.

Also worth noting the machines interweave when duplexing unless letterhead mode is invoked.
    I mention it as the dog earing may be occurring in the duplex path, but the fold and print indicate otherwise.

worker drone 250+ Posts

Just my opinion but judging from the print on the folded edge, it is prior to the drum/transfer, and assuming it is a single sided print, the fold inwards suggests that the catching protrusion is on the drum side of the machine and not the transfer side. I would think it would almost have to be the vertical guide or even the top edge of the paper tray. The bottom "lift plate" in the tray isn't bent down on one side is it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP4000spf  Dog Ear Iintermittent

Since it only happens with tray 1 and you have replaced the tray 1 feed module (usual cause of dog ears on only one tray) you might check to see if the guide rail(s) for the tray might be loose.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

Another tech went out on this and said there were some nicks on the tray 1 guide that folds in and out on the feed assy. Kinda weird cause I replaced that. We will see Thanks for all the help everyone! Also, Forgot to mention I Replaced the paper dust collector assembly and also I replaced the Entire Transfer belt assembly.
    I replaced the entire paper tray but ill look at that rail that it slides into. You guys are very helpful and I really do appreciate it. I'm thinking the guide he ordered is NOT going to fix this... Call it my copier tech intuition. Ill keep you posted. Thanks Again!
    Izzy