Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    MP3351 trying to print letter and legal from desktop in same group

I have a customer that has a group of documents that needs to be printed from the desktop, they are mixed with letter and legal docs. "Notary' I've tried every adjustment I know, rotate sort, and more

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP3351 trying to print letter and legal from desktop in same group

From the fact that you mention "rotate sort", I am assuming that you are needing a way for the documents to be quickly separated after they have all been printed. My suggestion would be to use a colored separator/slip sheet between documents or a colored cover sheet with each documents. Slip sheet and cover sheet can be set in the paper portion of the details tab when using the model specific PCL6 driver. It is not available in the Universal Print driver.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    From the fact that you mention "rotate sort", I am assuming that you are needing a way for the documents to be quickly separated after they have all been printed. My suggestion would be to use a colored separator/slip sheet between documents or a colored cover sheet with each documents. Slip sheet and cover sheet can be set in the paper portion of the details tab when using the model specific PCL6 driver. It is not available in the Universal Print driver.
    Slightly off topic, but thanks, Slim, for mentioning that the Universal Print driver can't do slip sheets and cover sheets; I never noticed that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Not really clear on the question. "Desktop" is just a bit too vague. (OK, it's a lot too vague.)

Some apps don't support a mix of letter and legal size pages in the same print job, and different drivers will behave differently.

Many times the first page will dictate the page size for the entire job.

It just depends on how the app and the driver form the print data stream.

I miss the days of the old "mini" driver (not the actress, btw. ). It seemed to work the best with mixed page sizes. I even had a case where the customer printed a mix of simplex and duplex in the same job, out of Word Perfect, and only the mini driver would work.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Rotate sort may have not been a good idea. Customer's print job has both letter and legal documents in it. Was wondering if the copier could function printing as it does feeding different size originals thru the ADF and switching between letter and legal. So far it either will print all docs on letter or legal, not both.

I stand corrected on my previous post.

It looks like there is a min driver available.

Try that (it should have PCL 5 and 6). Test both drivers.

You still have not mentioned the OS or application you are printing from, so it's nearly impossible to make any kind of accurate suggestions.
    Last edited by KenB; 01-02-2017 at 07:59 PM.

2020 Retired 50+ Posts

Notary=Lawyer
    If the program your customer is using allows you to print to PDF, I would try to print the file to PDF and then use the PDF software to print to the Ricoh printer.
    After that, I would experiment with different drivers and drivers settings at a cost of about $150.00 per hour in Canadian Dollars plus HST.

Quote Originally Posted by DougD View Post
    Notary=Lawyer
    If the program your customer is using allows you to print to PDF, I would try to print the file to PDF and then use the PDF software to print to the Ricoh printer.
    After that, I would experiment with different drivers and drivers settings at a cost of about $150.00 per hour in Canadian Dollars plus HST.
    Lawyers and and anyone who handles home loans tend to have a lot of mixed size documents.

The case I mentioned in my first post was just that...a legal firm.

I definitely smell WordPerfect here, seems that lawyers like it. In all honesty, it runs rings around MS Word in what it's capable of.

Again, the mini driver may be a good bet, regardless of the application.
    Last edited by KenB; 01-04-2017 at 04:12 AM.