Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    WIM & Chrome Browser

WIM & Chrome Browser

Happy New Year To ALL!

Ever since the Calendar turned to 2017 (possibly a little bit before that, but I was on Holidays ), I've been unable to make changes to address books via the WIM using Google Chrome on any machine (Old or newer). I seem to be able to access the address book and make entries on the older machines, but I'm unable to save those changes.
    On the newer machines, I'm unable to even add/change or delete a user.
    This is happening on no less than 5 Windows 10 PC's/laptops that I've tried so far, and no less than 10 different machines in a variety of locations.
    Firefox, and IE/Edge don't seem to be affected.
    No other areas of the WIM seem to be affected either

Anyone else seen this, and know of an easy tweak to fix it? It's just a bit curious

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: WIM & Chrome Browser

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Happy New Year To ALL!

Ever since the Calendar turned to 2017 (possibly a little bit before that, but I was on Holidays ), I've been unable to make changes to address books via the WIM using Google Chrome on any machine (Old or newer). I seem to be able to access the address book and make entries on the older machines, but I'm unable to save those changes.
    This is happening on no less than 5 Windows 10 PC's/laptops that I've tried so far, and no less than 10 different machines in a variety of locations.

Anyone else seen this, and know of an easy tweak to fix it? It's just a bit curious
    Flush the DNS cache and delete all the Chrome browser history.

Try 'Allow session cookies'. This may be blocking active WIM session authentication.

There may be an out of date SSL certificate being enforced ?

Has Google Chrome updated itself just recent ?
    I believe Windows is no longer allowing SHA1 certificate authentication validation. All validation is done using SHA2 or greater.

But the above SHA1 validation would effect all browsers not just Chrome, unless Chrome has followed with Microsoft lead an only uses SHA2 for validation.

P.S. Happy New Year 2017...
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    WIM & Chrome Browser

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMatrix View Post
    Flush the DNS cache and delete all the Chrome browser history.

Try 'Allow session cookies'. This may be blocking active WIM session authentication.

There may be an out of date SSL certificate being enforced ?...............
    I appreciate the advice Neo, even though (as usual) much of the info is above my pay grade .
    Cookies are enabled, and I did flush the cache when I thought that it was just an issue on my own PC.
    But this is happening on 3 laptops of my own, and on several different machines in my shop.
    5 machines at a client's office using either their server, or another PC...no luck
    And I visited 2 small clients today where changes were needed, and Chrome failed to work from theirs too.
    In my book, it's definitely a chrome update at the root of the issue, and it's no real problem, I just find it strange that the address book seems to be the only area affected

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    WIM & Chrome Browser

I appreciate the advice Neo, even though (as usual) much of the info is above my pay grade .
    Cookies are enabled, and I did flush the cache when I thought that it was just an issue on my own PC.
    But this is happening on 3 laptops of my own, and on several different machines in my shop.
    5 machines at a client's office using either their server, or another PC...no luck
    And I visited 2 small clients today where changes were needed, and Chrome failed to work from theirs too.
    In my book, it's definitely a chrome update at the root of the issue, and it's no real problem, I just find it strange that the address book seems to be the only area affected
    I know there are those who might not agree with me but Chrome is my last choice as a browser. I have a customer that is a school district. They called a couple of weeks ago to say that they were having trouble saving changes to the address in WIM. When I went there, she showed me that the "OK" and "Save and Add Another" buttons were not on the screen. She was using chrome. I noticed that she had Firefox pinned to the task bar and asked her to try it. Firefox, my preferred browser, worked fine. My guess is that Google updated something in Chrome that is not currently compatible with WIM. Don't be surprised to an update from Ricoh for the firmware module that WIM is part of to correct the problem. Until then, use a different browser.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    WIM & Chrome Browser

Happy New Year To ALL!

Sandy, I started seeing this exact thing about a month ago, so to save myself more headaches I've just been using Firefox.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

ah... Light bulb moment.

One for the I.T. guru's out there.

Next time you visit the Chrome browser problem. Take special notice that you are logged on as the PC administrator.

Do NOT click on any chrome shortcut to load the chrome browser.
    Instead, using Windows Explorer, browse to the Chrome folder and double click the chrome.exe app to run from that folder location.

Unbeknown to you, I would like to know if Windows is running Chrome in protected mode memory space without elevated privileges.(Ie. similar to a shortcut/app running compatibility mode.) This may be limiting firewall access to windows services running in the background, an therefore no webpage address book updates.

Re: address book update:
    After chrome does the address book update, try opening a new chrome tab then cut and paste
    the copier address book URL and then click refresh on the new chrome page. See if the address book HTML page shows the new address book changes.

As you have said there is no real problem, it's more of curiosity kill the cat on my part.
    Last edited by NeoMatrix; 01-06-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••