Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh C3500 - total newbie with dumb questions ;)

Hey Everyone – hoping some of you kind folks can drop some knowledge on a total newbie. Full Disclosure - I’m NOT a copier tech and have relatively limited knowledge about this stuff, but I’m not a complete dummy.

I just got a printer off of Craigslist for next to nothing - a Ricoh C3500 with finisher and appears to have only been used for approximately 140k prints. It spent the last three or four months braving the GA weather outside in a carport so I brought it home and let it acclimate to the inside of my house first. Cranked it on, cleaned it up a bit and started running some test prints. To my complete surprise, everything appears to be working pretty well.

I want to ensure I’m getting the most out of this printer possible. I bought it so I could make a run of photo magazines. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at the print quality of the images – I realize it’s still a laser printer and ultimately inferior to digital presses, inkjet, offset, etc, but for my purposes I think it should do fine.

When I’m printing 11x17 the paper has a slightly larger margin on the right side than on the left. Like an eighth of an inch which wouldn’t normally be a biggie, but when printing booklets, it makes the gutter look sloppy. I’ve tried the edge to edge setting and that just makes it much worse. Any suggestions for how to correct this? Happens when I use both the 11x17 trays.

Printer driver – I’ve just got this thing plugged into my PC via USB – using the PCL5c driver – I’ve attached some screenshots – driver software seems very limited as far as options – what am I missing here? I thought this printer was capable at printing higher than 600 DPI?

Admin login – I’m locked out – is there a way to reload this thing?

Firmware – I realize I probably can’t update the firmware myself from what I’ve read online so far – do I need to do this?

Maintenance – I’ve purchased some new toner, but what all do I need to do now and in the future? The printer’s menu only has like two calibration options.
    Thank you all - hope to get some guidance here – any input is appreciated!!
    ricoh6.JPGricoh5.JPGricoh4.JPGricoh3.JPGricoh2.JPGricoh1.JPG

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Ricoh C3500 - total newbie with dumb questions ;)

A small list

ALWAYS run original toner. Make sure the fusing belt, oil supply roller and cleaning roller are in good shape. Print off an SMC - SP5990-004 and check the PM counters. If the drums are over 80k, they will need replacing. 160k for the devs. With regard to the admin password, log in as "supervisor" with no password, go to System Settings / Admin Tools / Program/Change Administrator / Administrator 1 / Change Password. Leave it blank and make sure you press OK to come out of the settings, not the user tools key or this won't work.

Also, print off a configuration page. User Tools / Printer Features / Config Page. Check "supported languages" at the top. You *may* be really lucky and it may have a Postscript card in it.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

Thanks for responding! Where do I find the PM (preventative maintenance?) counters? SMC - SP5990-004

No clue what any of this means:

Printer Language: RPCS [3.3.25.1.2], PCL 5c [1.13], PCL XL [1.13]

Also - is it really that bad to use 3rd party toner? I just ordered some the other day...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

You'll be able to get in and print out your logging data by entering service mode
    Clear Modes - 1 - 0 - 7 - Clear/Stop key (hold key down until service mode appears)
    Then Copy SP
    Go to DataLog1 and then PM Counter Display

Or you can go into Mode, SP Print and then Logging Data which will show your PM Counters and Jam History

Good luck

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Usb printing is limited, if you hook it up to your network and use the Pcl6 driver you will have more options.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

As you got the machine dirt cheap I would spend a bit more on the machine & call out a Ricoh tech to give the machine a good service & clean a good tech will also update the firmware, even show you the basics to maintain it yourself in the future.
    This would be money well spent!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Technician

Oh man... you guys freaking rock... for real!

Can't change the admin login "You do not have the privileges to use this function"

Total paper jam counter - 23 - I think I'm like 7 or 8 of these, lol

Image Transfer Belt & Cleaning unit replaced at 70323

Looks like it's still on the original CMY and I just installed the second K (3rd party..., ooops) as far as I can tell.

It has like 160k total prints. I honestly think it was only used to print receipts/contracts occasionally for a small loan business or something...

Was able to install the PCL6 driver and am using via USB - WAY more options - needed this

You guys won't believe how much I paid for this thing.... $50! lol

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    As you got the machine dirt cheap I would spend a bit more on the machine & call out a Ricoh tech to give the machine a good service & clean a good tech will also update the firmware, even show you the basics to maintain it yourself in the future.
    This would be money well spent!
    Any idea what that would cost? Know anyone in Atlanta that would barter or work for cheap? lol...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Start a new thread i'm sure you'll find a tech in Atlanta
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Oh man... you guys freaking rock... for real!

Can't change the admin login "You do not have the privileges to use this function"

Total paper jam counter - 23 - I think I'm like 7 or 8 of these, lol

Image Transfer Belt & Cleaning unit replaced at 70323

Looks like it's still on the original CMY and I just installed the second K (3rd party..., ooops) as far as I can tell.

It has like 160k total prints. I honestly think it was only used to print receipts/contracts occasionally for a small loan business or something...

Was able to install the PCL6 driver and am using via USB - WAY more options - needed this

You guys won't believe how much I paid for this thing.... $50! lol
    Try logging in to User Tools as supervisor with no password. The only thing that supervisor can do is change admin credentials.

As for the printing, does the does the finisher have a booklet stapler? If it does, there should be an option for booklet on the finishing tab of the driver preferences.