Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Ricoh C3500 - total newbie with dumb questions ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lilysdad View Post
    Also - is it really that bad to use 3rd party toner? I just ordered some the other day...
    Unfortunately, yes. These machines don't like it and toner pump failures occur regularly.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Welp, I managed to blow up the USB control board in this thing - mistakenly plugged in the weird pronged power cord upside down, lol. Now time to find a used part I suppose to replace it.

Spent a little time in the manual and got it working over my home network now via Ethernet connected to my router, but it seems some of the better drivers aren't supported in that format.

ONE MORE BIG QUESTION if you'll all continue to appease me here! I'm having a tough time getting the paper to print dead center on 11x17. The side that feeds out of the printer last always has more margin (right hand side of paper) than the left side. It's minimal, but I'm making photo books with full page spreads. Any advice how I can correct this issue? On some of the pages you see the back side of another photo's gutter coming through slightly.

BTW - happens in both lower paper drawers and with all the various drivers I've tried. I'm putting 32 pound paper through it double sided, however it was still doing the same with 20 lb copy paper too. Any ideas how I can correct this?

Thanks for everything so far!!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh C3500 - total newbie with dumb questions ;)

The procedure for adjusting the scanner and printer registrations are in the service manual. Just do a PDF search. Also, if you are copying, check the edit/color tab at the bottom of the screen and make sure there is not a margin set as default.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Technician

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm actually learning a few things now

I started getting magenta streaking in various parts of the white paper - printing BIG images on 11x17 double sided. Also getting the occasional black blotch or specs as well. I took out both drums and cleaned the charge rollers (smooth, hard black roller, right?) as well as the foam cleaning rollers with it. It got better for a few pages and just came back again.

I just ordered two new drum units off ebay. B2232027 RICOH AFICIO MP C2500 C3500 DRUM UNIT COLOR | eBay

Anything else I should be doing right now that you all can think of?

I'd fit an ITB cleaning unit too. Make sure you make the appropriate change in SP3902 to tell the machine you're fitting the parts, then power off. The machine will set them up properly when it's switched back on.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    The procedure for adjusting the scanner and printer registrations are in the service manual. Just do a PDF search. Also, if you are copying, check the edit/color tab at the bottom of the screen and make sure there is not a margin set as default.
    AWESOME! Figured it out - thanks!

Thinking about it - can you print out a 5-990-004, then scan and post it please? An idea of the current PM counters will help.

Hit it.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Thinking about it - can you print out a 5-990-004, then scan and post it please? An idea of the current PM counters will help.
    Absolutely - will do as soon as I get home!

Technician

So I replaced the drum unit in the magenta and all looks good now as far as the streaking goes.

I'm seeing some POSTSCRIPT3 SD cards on eBay for relatively cheap - would this be something I should look into for photo book printing?

If you're even going to consider doing that I'd check what the PM counters are at and replace the necessary parts. Oh and run original toner.

Hit it.