Ricoh MP W2400 Needs Firmware Update

One of my customers has asked for help with a SMB scanning problem with a Ricoh MP W2400 wide format machine. I look after their standard format Konica MFPs and have taken on this MP W2400 but in truth I have no depth of experience with it.

It scans to Windows 7 PCs perfectly, using SMB protocols. I refuses to connect to Windows 8.1 or their Windows 10 based PC's and I have read elsewhere that this model might require a FW upgrade?

Can anyone provide me with a download site for same and, essentially, notes on how to perform the upgrade?

Thx,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP W2400 Needs Firmware Update

From what you're saying, you're correct -- it will need a firmware update. However, you have to have a Ricoh tech certification to be able to download the firmware (from here). There are multiple firmware files... the ones you need are probably system, NIB, and scanner (and maybe Network Support if that's a separate file) but I would recommend updating all of the files if you're going to do the update anyway.

If you can get access to the Ricoh site, the firmware is downloaded, unpacked, stored on an SD card in a "romdata" folder, and inserted into the service slot in the back of the copier (with the machine off). When you turn it on, it will prompt you to upgrade the firmware. Generally, it's good practice to do the system firmware first.

Disconnect any network cables before doing the firmware update.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Config page instructions for copiers, printers, & fax machines

Red face Re: Ricoh MP W2400 Needs Firmware Update

My first post on the forum, and my first reply. Fabulous, thank you.

Half way there, download site access in my next objective!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You MIGHT not need the update... I've seen this happen on several MFP's using SMB for scanning. It's actually a NetBIOS issue in the newer versions of Windows that's bitten my backside a few times.

Go into the Network and Sharing Center, click on the offending PC's Ethernet icon, click Properties, then select the IP v4 protocol and then click Advanced. Select the WINS tab and change to "NetBIOS over TCP/IP", and then click OK/Done all the way out.

SMB doesn't like to play well on a NetBIOS over DHCP configuration for some reason. Give this a try, and I'll bet you're ready to go again.

...just make sure your SMB destination folder is shared properly, and you have valid credentials for the scan feature to access the computer, and you're all set.

Good Luck!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

You could also setup FTP scanning with something like Filezilla Server
    Non-Firmware Dependent and just works

Smile Re: Ricoh MP W2400 Needs Firmware Update

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    You MIGHT not need the update... I've seen this happen on several MFP's using SMB for scanning. It's actually a NetBIOS issue in the newer versions of Windows that's bitten my backside a few times.

Go into the Network and Sharing Center, click on the offending PC's Ethernet icon, click Properties, then select the IP v4 protocol and then click Advanced. Select the WINS tab and change to "NetBIOS over TCP/IP", and then click OK/Done all the way out.

SMB doesn't like to play well on a NetBIOS over DHCP configuration for some reason. Give this a try, and I'll bet you're ready to go again.

...just make sure your SMB destination folder is shared properly, and you have valid credentials for the scan feature to access the computer, and you're all set.

Good Luck!

That's really welcome information. I will give it a try before running the firmware updates (which I have now received)

Thanks for the support. Impressive!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD0505 View Post
    That's really welcome information. I will give it a try before running the firmware updates (which I have now received)

Thanks for the support. Impressive!

I've been pushing around "Ones and Zeros" for a while...It comes with the territory...LOL!

Thanks!