Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

future laserprinter

Hello,
    I remember at Cebit messe in Hannover 2015 where there was a gigantic ball hanging with waste material of a laser printer in compare with the incredible small waste of an inkjet printer with the same printout volume (100K).
    Indeed, inkjet doesn't know fusing units, belts, pcu's,...
    How do you think this will develop in the future? Will laser printers loose market in benefit of inkjet (or other technology of this kind)?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Re: future laserprinter

Xerox had a similar ad for the minimal waste produced by their colorqube models. They showed two very different piles of waste over the same period.

Now the colorqube has been shelved. It could not compete with laser because it had too many deficiencies in usage and the reliability wasn't great. I don't think the world of business cares too much about waste over productivity. They can always carbon offset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=jhalfhide;551646]Xerox had a similar ad for the minimal waste produced by their colorqube models. They showed two very different piles of waste over the same period.

Now the colorqube has been shelved. It could not compete with laser because it had too many deficiencies in usage and the reliability wasn't great. I don't think the world of business cares too much about waste over productivity. They can always carbon offset.

Jhalfhide: thanks for your quick response. It is a "new" technology and perhaps some things needs to be adjusted a bit, but I know some clients who are really satisfied! I think the philosophy behind it is great: the little waste is non toxic, you can safely give it to children to play with!

Waste.

A subjective term.

You have to figure in not just the waste from the consumables and replaceables, but also the time wasted in troubleshooting, the gas wasted sitting in traffic going to location or in a traffic jam, etc.

I see you posted this in a Ricoh forum.

If you are getting a monochrome laser printer, I can't necessarily recommend a Ricoh even though I am technician for the product. Reason being is Ricoh uses (for the most part) a two part system--toner and developer separately...more hassle. Whereas, Kyocera uses a monotoner--developer and toner together, so you always have a fresh flow with no breakdown to the developer. The only thing to service most of the time is the charge roller on some of the machines which can easily be cleaned with a wet paper towel. Kyocera's also don't need the fusers rebuilt--just replace (most go 300k) whereas Ricoh's usually require a rebuild which takes time and gas!

Just my 2 cents worth!

PS--when there's a "problem" Ricoh is a company that can "do no wrong"--meaning it usually takes longer for them to issue a TSB than it does for Kyocera. Kyocera seems to be more proactive when it comes to resolving issues. Just another 2 cents worth!....so now you have 4 cents!
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech 250+ Posts jhalfhide's Avatar

Kyocera mono products also seem to go way, way, way past life. We've got their old mono desktop printers still going strong with readings higher than some of our A3 MFD's.

Quote Originally Posted by jhalfhide View Post
    Kyocera mono products also seem to go way, way, way past life. We've got their old mono desktop printers still going strong with readings higher than some of our A3 MFD's.

From what I've seen and experienced (haven't been a Kyo Tech but for a few years now!) Kyocera does a DAMN good job with mono!...so much so, that I believe due to the toner being mono and always having a fresh flow, it has very little potential to dust and dirty the inside of the machine!...and if it does dust, it is very localized and easy to be cleaned up!

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Indeed, the parts of the Kyocera I have worked on yet, do have an incredible long life time!
    Instead of Ricoh this is an important improvement.
    Petrol gasses, risk for accidents, speed tickets , ... also needs to be calculated in...
    But the fact remains, inkjet nearly uses power, for there is no fusing unit, no heat used...

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

As for Ricoh, the future IS here, it's LED printers.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

@ TonerMunkeh: LED is an improvement, but still need a fusing unit and drum.... (and current to power them on)

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

I also think that there will be more inkjet based print engines (with full page width printheads) and less laser based stuff (with led). Output quality probably more crappier on both ends^^

Probably more cunsumables and less service parts wich won't be needed since no one calls for maintanance if you can buy a new mid-range system for some bucks more.

Kinda sad but I wouldn't recommend young people to step in our shoes, except they can find a company with some sort of wide angle future view^^