Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

MP6500/6001/6002 Toner smearin/ building on dev and drum unit.

I've noticed lately a lot of the consoles in our fleet have been having an issue where toner will build up in front of the drum and on the dev unit below the development roller. This leads to smears of toner on output.

I've been replacing toner recycling units on those that are past yield but it doesn't seem to help much. Happens on high and low use units, even ones with current firmware.

I have a feeling it won't stop until I have units with new toner recyclers, clean dev rollers, and they get a fresh load of developer dumped into them, but I wanted to see if anyone else had ideas.

It does seem the worst on really low volume units. We have one MP7502 that is only getting like 30k a month run through it and it's about the worst offender.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

Re: MP6500/6001/6002 Toner smearin/ building on dev and drum unit.

We had an issue 6 months ago with a faulty stock of Type 9002 toner.. The machines made light copies or was in overtoner... Or toner smearing occurs... We thought it was a humidity problem... But later we got the proof that it was the toner... Now i think they solved this problem.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
    Memento Audere Semper

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Codex View Post
    We had an issue 6 months ago with a faulty stock of Type 9002 toner.. The machines made light copies or was in overtoner... Or toner smearing occurs... We thought it was a humidity problem... But later we got the proof that it was the toner... Now i think they solved this problem.

If you still unsolved the problem and using other toner much better you clean the drum unit, firstly do vacuum around the drum and remove the waste toner secondly the developer unit i think your developer powder is faulty so that the toner smears on the drum and developer itself, i advice to you change the developer and use original for better copy and no hassle for smearing the powder from drum unit and developer unit....Be patient!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rudysemira View Post
    If you still unsolved the problem and using other toner much better you clean the drum unit, firstly do vacuum around the drum and remove the waste toner secondly the developer unit i think your developer powder is faulty so that the toner smears on the drum and developer itself, i advice to you change the developer and use original for better copy and no hassle for smearing the powder from drum unit and developer unit....Be patient!!!!!
    We only use Ricoh toner and developer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Did you replace the developer in the exact same way as it is described in the serv.man.?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    I've noticed lately a lot of the consoles in our fleet have been having an issue where toner will build up in front of the drum and on the dev unit below the development roller. This leads to smears of toner on output.
    It does seem the worst on really low volume units. We have one MP7502 that is only getting like 30k a month run through it and it's about the worst offender.
    Reminder: That the MP6002/7502 series and newer has a REFRESH mode SP2986 that will help with the low volume copiers.
    Execute it when you're there - 2986-4.
    Or you can program it to execute after # copies.
    That's with 2986-2 - if the copier does 10K per month then set this to 5K so it executes twice per month.
    The waste toner will fill up quicker but so what!!

The older series 6001, 6000, 5500 etc doesnt have this refresh mode. There are other SP modes for these models but they've rarely improved the toner dusting, dumping and smudges for me at all.

However, I've had endless struggles lately - past 3 months - with premature developer dusting, dumping etc. I don't have a reason , no solution.
    About 10-15 copiers are doing this and most of them were lasting 300 - 500K before.
    All models - MP5500, 6000, 6001, 6002.
    All of a sudden, Now they last 50 K, a couple lasting only 10K, so whats up with this? Its BLOODY WEIRD!!

Is it weather related - We've had a cold snap past 3 months out west in Canada and then a warming up then cold again. MAYBE?
    Is it a bad developer or toner batch - Cant be, no one else is having this issue as bad as I am.
    I always have Firmware current, Check and Perform all bulletins, I do my PMs, replaced DEV assemblies, replaced drums, filters, replaced PCU assemblies etc etc but NO DICE!
    I seem to be wasting money throwing in parts.

Also have been trying a ton of SP modes - some from the bulletins, some from other tech tips etc etc.
    What I've started to try now is to put back to default - Vref, ID sensor values etc before replacing developer.
    Then doing SP2801 - developer initialization TWICE.
    Then doing SP3001 - ID sensor initialization.
    Then 2962 - drum adjustments.
    Don't know if this will help yet, we'll see in the next few weeks.

ANYONE ELSE HAS ANYTHING TO HELP WITH?
    Please let me know, i'll take anything.
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS View Post
    Reminder: That the MP6002/7502 series and newer has a REFRESH mode SP2986 that will help with the low volume copiers.
    Execute it when you're there - 2986-4.
    Or you can program it to execute after # copies.
    That's with 2986-2 - if the copier does 10K per month then set this to 5K so it executes twice per month.
    The waste toner will fill up quicker but so what!!

The older series 6001, 6000, 5500 etc doesnt have this refresh mode. There are other SP modes for these models but they've rarely improved the toner dusting, dumping and smudges for me at all.

However, I've had endless struggles lately - past 3 months - with premature developer dusting, dumping etc. I don't have a reason , no solution.
    About 10-15 copiers are doing this and most of them were lasting 300 - 500K before.
    All models - MP5500, 6000, 6001, 6002.
    All of a sudden, Now they last 50 K, a couple lasting only 10K, so whats up with this? Its BLOODY WEIRD!!

Is it weather related - We've had a cold snap past 3 months out west in Canada and then a warming up then cold again. MAYBE?
    Is it a bad developer or toner batch - Cant be, no one else is having this issue as bad as I am.
    I always have Firmware current, Check and Perform all bulletins, I do my PMs, replaced DEV assemblies, replaced drums, filters, replaced PCU assemblies etc etc but NO DICE!
    I seem to be wasting money throwing in parts.

Also have been trying a ton of SP modes - some from the bulletins, some from other tech tips etc etc.
    What I've started to try now is to put back to default - Vref, ID sensor values etc before replacing developer.
    Then doing SP2801 - developer initialization TWICE.
    Then doing SP3001 - ID sensor initialization.
    Then 2962 - drum adjustments.
    Don't know if this will help yet, we'll see in the next few weeks.

ANYONE ELSE HAS ANYTHING TO HELP WITH?
    Please let me know, i'll take anything.
    Thanks very much.
    I feel your pain. I've tried refresh mode on a few copiers, doesn't seem to do anything but fill up the waste toner bottle faster.

mjf049

Cool Re: MP6500/6001/6002 Toner smearin/ building on dev and drum unit.

This issue seems to be mostly on the higher volume machines,also more so in the winter when the humidity is down,just frequently vacuum out the pcu and clean the mag roller and doctor blade and replace the developer alot sooner,once the summer months are with us and the humidity goes up the machines don't dust as bad...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Codex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rudysemira View Post
    We used only original ricoh toner and developer... They solved the problem now (other toner stock)

Memento Audere Semper

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post

I've been replacing toner recycling units on those that are past yield but it doesn't seem to help much. Happens on high and low use units, even ones with current firmware.

I have a feeling it won't stop until I have units with new toner recyclers, clean dev rollers, and they get a fresh load of developer dumped into them, but I wanted to see if anyone else had ideas.

Use sp2986 refresh mode for low volume copiers. Set 2986-4 to about 5k. It auto executes every 5000 copies.