Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 4001 Inbound Faxes STUCK?  Try this trick!!

MP 4001 Inbound Faxes STUCK? Try this trick!!

In all my $&^@ years of working on copiers/printers/computers, I've NEVER seen this happen. Hopefully it's save someone out there some time, and some hair on their heads!!

An MP 4001 was not printing out faxes... (TX was fine) Job history showed they were received OK, it would just not print them out. Had to clear out the fax memory in SP mode, then tested with a "Fax back" service. TX went through fine once again... Then RX showed an incoming fax, then the screen would get stuck on "Processing-Printing" and nothing would come out.

The Help-Desk guy I spoke with suggested I see how full cassette #1 was...it was actually OVER-filled. I removed about 50 sheets of paper, and it started printing immediately!!

....I've never seen this before. The Rep said it was a "quirk" on this series.

Please file this in your brains, and maybe you can save yourself an hour of troubleshooting!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP 4001 Inbound Faxes STUCK? Try this trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    In all my $&^@ years of working on copiers/printers/computers, I've NEVER seen this happen. Hopefully it's save someone out there some time, and some hair on their heads!!

An MP 4001 was not printing out faxes... (TX was fine) Job history showed they were received OK, it would just not print them out. Had to clear out the fax memory in SP mode, then tested with a "Fax back" service. TX went through fine once again... Then RX showed an incoming fax, then the screen would get stuck on "Processing-Printing" and nothing would come out.

The Help-Desk guy I spoke with suggested I see how full cassette #1 was...it was actually OVER-filled. I removed about 50 sheets of paper, and it started printing immediately!!

....I've never seen this before. The Rep said it was a "quirk" on this series.

Please file this in your brains, and maybe you can save yourself an hour of troubleshooting!!
    With an over filled tray 1 you're lucky that you didn't get an SC 501 and a wrench symbol on the tray.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    With an over filled tray 1 you're lucky that you didn't get an SC 501 and a wrench symbol on the tray.

At least if it threw an error code, I might have been able to troubleshoot it more quickly...LOL!

I had never seen something like that before. It was a head-scratcher.

Yep...seen it before as well.
    It was just a chance fluke that I checked the drawers and they were ALL overfilled.