Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

MPC4501 and MAC problem

Hello

I am trying to install an MPC4501 on a network for use with a number of MAC's... it was working until someone changed the router they are using.

The copier is attached to the network and from the web browser on any of the machines I can access the it... however, when I ask the MAC to add it as a printer it is not found..

I have tried letting the MAC look for the printer, which shows nothing, and adding it using the IP address.

The only issue I can see is the connection between the copier and network gives some fluctuating ping results...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MPC4501 and MAC problem

Re: MPC4501 and MAC problem

Quote Originally Posted by Staggan View Post
    Hello

I am trying to install an MPC4501 on a network for use with a number of MAC's... it was working until someone changed the router they are using.

The copier is attached to the network and from the web browser on any of the machines I can access the it... however, when I ask the MAC to add it as a printer it is not found..

I have tried letting the MAC look for the printer, which shows nothing, and adding it using the IP address.

The only issue I can see is the connection between the copier and network gives some fluctuating ping results...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

First step...set the copier on a Static IP that is outside DHCP range. (ie: Computer is 192.168.1.18...set the copier to .160 or something like that)

Next...You REALLY don't want a Mac to "search" for a networked printer. The best process is to first, install the print drivers for the specific model... then go into System Prefs and add the printer using IP protocol, enter the IP address and then "Select Printer Software". Once it's installed, it's easier to configure the printer using the CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) interface.

The only other thing I watch for is to set the print protocol to "Line Printer Daemon", and use "lp" as the name of the print queue.

Good luck,

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Hello

I normally set the copier to DHCP first to make sure it can find the network etc.. then I choose a static IP outside the current range... normally XXX.XXX.XXX.199 or something...

I did use the IP to manually install the printer and I had already installed the latest driver....

I did not however set it to use LPD..

I will check this...

Thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Istall driver with GUTENPRINT

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Cool Re: MPC4501 and MAC problem

If it worked before the router was replaced, it appears that the Gateway ( and or Subnet Mask) have changed. Put back into a DHCP let it pull the network settings,
    then put into a static IP ( outside the reset range ) With Macs, they are almost always an easy set up and will find and install printers ON the network.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

As I said, I always put the machine into DHCP mode first to make sure it is finding the network properly... and then I set it to static...

As I said, the strange thing is that I can access the machine from a web browser on the network using the assigned IP address, but the MAC's are not finding it... either automatically or using the IP address....

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Could the new router have Bonjour disabled, or it be disabled on the MFP?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions...

In the end I reset the new router, turned ALL networked equipment off, set the copier to DHCP, let it get an IP address, set that as static, added an exclusion in the router for that IP, restarted everything else... and it is now working.....

Thanks again

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Staggan View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions...

In the end I reset the new router, turned ALL networked equipment off, set the copier to DHCP, let it get an IP address, set that as static, added an exclusion in the router for that IP, restarted everything else... and it is now working.....

Thanks again
    I hope you set the router to use the same IP range as the original one.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PinevskiS View Post
    Istall driver with GUTENPRINT
    Never a good idea: this is just asking for repeated calls from the customer for why feature x or y doesn't work like it should.