Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP C4501

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP C4501

Am i missing something?!?

On bypass only 8.5 x 14 doesn't work (Jams...starts to pull in the second sheet too quickly)...if i set SP1-007 to -001, then it works, but then 8.5 x 11 jams!! What the heck?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP C4501

Jam code? Is size set in user tools or print driver.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP C4501

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Am i missing something?!?

On bypass only 8.5 x 14 doesn't work (Jams...starts to pull in the second sheet too quickly)...if i set SP1-007 to -001, then it works, but then 8.5 x 11 jams!! What the heck?
    There is a sensor on the bypass tray that detects the length of the paper. It s not covered by letter size LEF or shorter. If the sensor or the harness going to the sensor are bad, 8 1/2X14 will be detected as 8 1/2X11 SEF.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    There is a sensor on the bypass tray that detects the length of the paper. It s not covered by letter size LEF or shorter. If the sensor or the harness going to the sensor are bad, 8 1/2X14 will be detected as 8 1/2X11 SEF.

K i will check that thanks

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davel View Post
    Jam code? Is size set in user tools or print driver.
    Size is set in user tools...i did auto detect at first and then i just told it 8.5x11 or 8.5x14

Jam code is :057 Size: a6h...so it looks like a registration sensor, but you think that is the problem?? I have run this machine a lot and never had any jams except for this

And something ive always been a little confused about....when the bypass is on auto detect, how does it distinguish between 8.5x11 landscape and 8.5x14. Because arnt the bypass width detection and length detection both on? In other words SC 5-803-11,12,and 13 are identical with those two.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP C4501

Size is set in user tools...i did auto detect at first and then i just told it 8.5x11 or 8.5x14

Jam code is :057 Size: a6h...so it looks like a registration sensor, but you think that is the problem?? I have run this machine a lot and never had any jams except for this
    J057 is a trail edge sensor which means that paper length is not correct. It either departed the registration sensor too soon or too late.

And something ive always been a little confused about....when the bypass is on auto detect, how does it distinguish between 8.5x11 landscape and 8.5x14. Because arnt the bypass width detection and length detection both on? In other words SC 5-803-11,12,and 13 are identical with those two.
    If by landscape you mean SEF (Sort Edge Feed), the sensor I mentioned in my previous reply. It also detects the difference between 8.5X11 LEF and 11X17.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    J057 is a trail edge sensor which means that paper length is not correct. It either departed the registration sensor too soon or too late.

If by landscape you mean SEF (Sort Edge Feed), the sensor I mentioned in my previous reply. It also detects the difference between 8.5X11 LEF and 11X17.
    I guess maybe i am just misunderstanding something...cause i know you know what you're talking about.

Anyways i have another 4501 doing the same thing, which makes me wonder if all of them do that because i never test the bypass with LEG size paper i just happened to have some laying around which is what led me to find this.

Yes i understand it detects the difference betweeen 8.5x11 LEF and 11x17 but that is because the paper length detection sensor is on with 11x17 5-803-13 (goes from 1 to 0) where 8.5x11 LEF it does not detect it (5-803-13 is set to "1")

So that i get...but 8.5x11 SEF and 8.5x14, all the same sensors would be on (5-803-11,12,13), it would look identical. The only thing that would detect the difference i am guessing is the registration sensor directly under the registration roller, which is what you said before, it departs to late on 8.5x14. So that would lead me to believe the registration sensor is bad but that doesn't make sense because EVERYTHING else works perfect...

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MP C4501

Fro the user manual: Insert paper into bypass, press # and then select paper size. Select OK.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP C4501

I guess maybe i am just misunderstanding something...cause i know you know what you're talking about.

Anyways i have another 4501 doing the same thing, which makes me wonder if all of them do that because i never test the bypass with LEG size paper i just happened to have some laying around which is what led me to find this.

Yes i understand it detects the difference betweeen 8.5x11 LEF and 11x17 but that is because the paper length detection sensor is on with 11x17 5-803-13 (goes from 1 to 0) where 8.5x11 LEF it does not detect it (5-803-13 is set to "1")

So that i get...but 8.5x11 SEF and 8.5x14, all the same sensors would be on (5-803-11,12,13), it would look identical. The only thing that would detect the difference i am guessing is the registration sensor directly under the registration roller, which is what you said before, it departs to late on 8.5x14. So that would lead me to believe the registration sensor is bad but that doesn't make sense because EVERYTHING else works perfect...
    Portrait and Landscape are the orientation of a picture when you hang it on the wall. Paper running through a copier or printer is either SEF (Short Edge Feed) or LEF (Long Edge Feed).

There are two sensors on the manual feed table. One detects if there is paper in the manual feed tray and is located near the feed roller. The other is the length sensor and is located near the end of the manual feed table. Below are the parts that I had to replace when I had the same jam problem. The feeler is the only one you can find in the parts catalog that actually shows where it is. You have to use the Point to Point diagrams to find the harness.

AW020145 Photo Interrupter
    D0292664 Feeler: Paper Size Sensor: Manual Feed
    D0292769 Harness: manual feed table

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Fro the user manual: Insert paper into bypass, press # and then select paper size. Select OK.
    Ha wow...simple is best i guess. Yup that worked alright! Very strange....so i guess that is the only little loophole when it comes to auto detect on these machines. Because if it was set to auto detect it did not work...also, which this doesn't make sense, even when i specified the paper size in user tools to 8.5x14, it still jammed!

SOLUTION: For 8.5x14 on bypass, just choose paper from home screen by pressing #, thank you mikadonovan, ill try not to overthink it next time