Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP 4002 - Drivers for Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 6

I have a customer that has lost print functionality with their machine due to driver issues. The odd thing is that they say that the PDD files for this version state that they are expired when applied and that some functionality would be lost. The customer states that they cannot configure the driver output to be default black and white and that is why they have lost print functionality. I am at a loss here in terms of a lack of knowledge of the Mac OS and why you'd need to configure driver output to be black and white for a black amd white machine.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP 4002 - Drivers for Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 6

If the MFP does not have PostScript installed, you need to install it or use the "generic PCL" option available on MAC OS X.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    If the MFP does not have PostScript installed, you need to install it or use the "generic PCL" option available on MAC OS X.
    You could get by without the postscript option. Download and install Gutenprint Print Drivers. Install machine by ip address using LPD and select the gutenprint CUPS driver from the list. (You may have to reboot the mac in order to repopulate the drivers list). Please note. This will only work for Monochrome Ricohs. Color machines require postscript.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtymabel View Post
    You could get by without the postscript option. Download and install Gutenprint Print Drivers. Install machine by ip address using LPD and select the gutenprint CUPS driver from the list. (You may have to reboot the mac in order to repopulate the drivers list). Please note. This will only work for Monochrome Ricohs. Color machines require postscript.
    Steer clear of these drivers. You may dabble with them on your own, or even for a friend, but do not suggest them to a customer.

They will generate a barrage of support issues for you. When that happens, you have no recourse and own the issue.

Macs require PostScript. There are TONS of threads on CTN about that.

If I remember correctly, you can change printer defaults on the Mac by opening Safari (no other browser will work), and opening: "localhost:631". From there, you can manage all installed drivers.

I think that is on CTN, as well.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtymabel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Steer clear of these drivers. You may dabble with them on your own, or even for a friend, but do not suggest them to a customer.

They will generate a barrage of support issues for you. When that happens, you have no recourse and own the issue.

Macs require PostScript. There are TONS of threads on CTN about that.

If I remember correctly, you can change printer defaults on the Mac by opening Safari (no other browser will work), and opening: "localhost:631". From there, you can manage all installed drivers.

I think that is on CTN, as well.
    Apple added the "Generic PCL" print option so that third party options such as Gutenprint would not be required for B/W printing to a PCL printer.