Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gunnett

Scan to SMB Only Working with SMB 1 Enabled

We have 16 Ricoh MP 501's and a Ricoh C6004. I believe these units support SMB 2.0 and possibly higher. They are connected to the local domain and are trying to Scan to the Local Windows Server 2012 R2. They can scan fine to the Windows Server as long as SMB 1.0 is enabled but we don't want that enabled for security reasons. I have telnetted into the Ricoh units and tried switching the SMB port from 139 to 445 and tried experimenting with the different smb client auth levels. The only thing that seems to allow scan to folder to work is enabling SMB 1.0 on the Windows Server. The Network Support firmware on the C6004 is 15.61.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Scan to SMB Only Working with SMB 1 Enabled

we have had the same question today from a school whom is being advise to turn off smb v1 we I would be intrested in the answer as I think this is going to be a big problem due to the weekend cyber probs

Retired 10,000+ Posts

1. Domain name on the MFP MUST be exactly correct in interface settings. If it is not, then DNS requests from the MFP will be ignored. I had a school system this last fall where some MFP were scanning some were not. I found that the ones that were not had .org at the end of the domain not .com. I had gotten the .org from their email addresses. It was their Google Apps domain not the local domain.
    2. First DNS entry must be the local DNS server, usually the Domain server.
    3. Scan to folder must be by computer name. Scan to IP address has been blocked since a Server update last summer.

We have a customer who did the same.

I called Ricoh tech support (straight to second line) who advised Ricoh only work on v1.. nothing can be done.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

You may be better off having an FTP share setup and scanning to that.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

I've run into this myself. I find it astounding that a global manufacturer, especially knowing what trouble Windows 8 and Server 2012 caused, haven't brought something out to sort this. It's only a matter of time before the shit properly hits the fan.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HDSB View Post
    We have a customer who did the same.

I called Ricoh tech support (straight to second line) who advised Ricoh only work on v1.. nothing can be done.
    I don't know who at Ricoh you have been talking to but at least in North America that is not true. Ricoh MFPs have supported SMB v2 since first firmware updates following Microsoft's introduction of Windows Vista. Windows 8 forced all MFP manufacturers to rewrite firmware to be able to use SMB v3.

To confirm, ive seen an internal Ricoh email:

• Ricoh MFDs support no version of SMB
    • GW architecture uses Samba which is fully compatible with SMBv1 only at the time of writing
    • Ricoh Japan are monitoring the situation
    You might want to check the origin date on that internal email. Only those Ricoh models that do not have firmware update by SD card. Those model that have SD card firmware update compatibility are based on GW+ architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I don't know who at Ricoh you have been talking to but at least in North America that is not true. Ricoh MFPs have supported SMB v2 since first firmware updates following Microsoft's introduction of Windows Vista. Windows 8 forced all MFP manufacturers to rewrite firmware to be able to use SMB v3.

You might want to check the origin date on that internal email. Only those Ricoh models that do not have firmware update by SD card. Those model that have SD card firmware update compatibility are based on GW+ architecture.
    Ricoh tech support level 2 UK

and

The email is dated today, the email clearly states GW architecture is based on UNIX (Samba) not Windows (SMB)

if anyone can prove otherwise then that would be great cause we have a customer wanting to remove 50 devices!

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Ricoh tech support level 2 UK

and

The email is dated today, the email clearly states GW architecture is based on UNIX (Samba) not Windows (SMB)

if anyone can prove otherwise then that would be great cause we have a customer wanting to remove 50 devices!
    All current models are GW+ architecture. Yes they are UNIX based but current Samba can emulate SMB v3 with proper firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    All current models are GW+ architecture. Yes they are UNIX based but current Samba can emulate SMB v3 with proper firmware.
    Ricoh seem to think otherwise then! We have an mpc 5054 included in the devices not scanning, all brand new Ricohs anyway i think.

Can you give specifics regarding proper firmware? these devices are on the latest firmware.