Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Aficio 2045e power shuts off by itself

Thumbs up Aficio 2045e power shuts off by itself

In mid April customer called about Aficio 2045e shutting off by itself. he would turn it on and it would work again. Over 2 to 3 weeks the machine got worse and was shutting off more frequently until it would not turn on again. customer called and I change power supply board. Machine was okay. Ran several hundred page job with no problem.

Also customers computer had crashed around the same time which may be relevant.

Customer called today saying machine shut off by itself several times today as he is busier now. He said that if he has a jam and removes the jam that the machine would shut off after closing door. He said he had one shutoff 3 days after I installed new power supply and that was only time with new power supply until today.

The machine had 1.4 million total prints/copies and I will be replacing machine in near future. What could cause the machine to shut off while running a job or after closing door after removing jam? Your help and or advice is very much appreciated. Frank

PS Could this be a fan/filter/ overheating problem , causing machine to shutdown?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bob marley's Avatar

Re: Aficio 2045e power shuts off by itself

Quote Originally Posted by axyun View Post
    after closing door after removing jam?
    defective switch
    Live for yourself and you will live in vain. Live for others, and you will live again

Thumbs up Re: Aficio 2045e power shuts off by itself

Thanks Bob. Would that be able to cause a power supply to go. After the machine shut down a number of times it would not come on again until I changed power supply. Then it came on and has been consistently okay for over a month until today.

If it was the switch all the time you would think the new power supply would not make a difference and it have still consistently shut down because of switch. Am I missing something? Like maybe he was using the machine a lot more last month and so it was shutting down more frequently until board blew. Then he had a slow period and so machine was not shutting down. And now he is busy again and shutting down again.

What do you think? Frank

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Since you say that their computer went down about the same time as when the MFP started have problems, I would say line voltage problems. If they do not have a proper power line protector installed, sell them one. One for their computer also. If they do have one, it is time to replace it.

Thumbs up Re: Aficio 2045e power shuts off by itself

Thank you Tim.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Continuing along slimslob's line of thinking, I think I would do a power quality analysis to document the issue. Until you print off that graph showing the power deficiencies noone will believe you. Even with the graph it's a hard slog.

If you are experiencing significant power sags a surge suppressor won't help. A surge suppressor will protect you from spikes over ... let's say 250vac, but won't do a thing for a sag. To protect from sags you'll need an Uninterruptable Power Supply, and not just any UPS. To support a 15A MFP you'll need an 1800watt UPS. If you were to ... say ... connect your 15A MFP to a 500W UPS for desktop computers the poor thing will screech at you every time you try to make copies, and maybe give you fuser errors.

P = IV (power in watts = current in amps X voltage in volts)

Now for the fun part: That UPS will cost you $600. Can you imagine a customer that won't replace their POS AF2045e, but they will buy a $600 uninterruptable power supply? Me either. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Continuing along slimslob's line of thinking, I think I would do a power quality analysis to document the issue. Until you print off that graph showing the power deficiencies noone will believe you. Even with the graph it's a hard slog.

If you are experiencing significant power sags a surge suppressor won't help. A surge suppressor will protect you from spikes over ... let's say 250vac, but won't do a thing for a sag. To protect from sags you'll need an Uninterruptable Power Supply, and not just any UPS. To support a 15A MFP you'll need an 1800watt UPS. If you were to ... say ... connect your 15A MFP to a 500W UPS for desktop computers the poor thing will screech at you every time you try to make copies, and maybe give you fuser errors.

P = IV (power in watts = current in amps X voltage in volts)

Now for the fun part: That UPS will cost you $600. Can you imagine a customer that won't replace their POS AF2045e, but they will buy a $600 uninterruptable power supply? Me either. =^..^=
    Huh, I was always told that a UPS would introduce problems in a machine that used a thermal fusing unit because the machine required a direct safety ground connection, and UPSs isolate safety ground.
    Learn something new every day.