Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Word format (.doc) not printing in fiery (pro c7110s)

You're never going to get this issue resolved if you don't listen to the suggestions we are giving you.

Using the 169.254.x.x range of IPs is just asking for trouble.

Not only is it unstable, it creates all kinds of nasty unneeded network traffic that can slow things to a crawl, if not to a stop.

Set your IPs as SlimSlob suggested.

That won't fix the Word printing issue, but at least you will maintain good connectivity.

Fieries don't natively print MS Office docs, sorry. Is it possible that the Command Workstation PC had or has Word (or something that can read Word files) on it? That is a terrible idea, but not impossible. Could it be that the "Word" files that previously printed were only .txt files? Word can easily handle those, and you can do basic printing of text files with no driver.

PDFs are literally a PostScript file with a little extra header info, that's why they can be printed without a driver. In order to accommodate mixed size printing (and numerous other tricks, for that matter), there needs to be a print driver to do the heavy lifting. If you go back a number of years (10 or more, from what I remember), it was once impossible to print a PDF with mixed page sizes.

In addition, something has to create a PDF, they're not born that way, and just how the PDF was produced will have a HUGE impact on its characteristics when printing.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts sharpmind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    You're never going to get this issue resolved if you don't listen to the suggestions we are giving you.

Using the 169.254.x.x range of IPs is just asking for trouble.

Not only is it unstable, it creates all kinds of nasty unneeded network traffic that can slow things to a crawl, if not to a stop.

Set your IPs as SlimSlob suggested.

That won't fix the Word printing issue, but at least you will maintain good connectivity.

Fieries don't natively print MS Office docs, sorry. Is it possible that the Command Workstation PC had or has Word (or something that can read Word files) on it? That is a terrible idea, but not impossible. Could it be that the "Word" files that previously printed were only .txt files? Word can easily handle those, and you can do basic printing of text files with no driver.

PDFs are literally a PostScript file with a little extra header info, that's why they can be printed without a driver. In order to accommodate mixed size printing (and numerous other tricks, for that matter), there needs to be a print driver to do the heavy lifting. If you go back a number of years (10 or more, from what I remember), it was once impossible to print a PDF with mixed page sizes.

In addition, something has to create a PDF, they're not born that way, and just how the PDF was produced will have a HUGE impact on its characteristics when printing.
    I already resolved the problem of mixed sized printing using command workstation.

There is no problem of changing the IP address to 192.168.xx.xx..I can do that when i go there again.

My problem now is how to print WORD and JPEG files using command workstation.PDF and TIFF file has no issue on printing.The users have told me that they were able to print WORD, excel and JPEG in the production printer. They are doing it for years. Their business is to print documents related to air navigation and publication materials. If I tell them that only PDFs are allowed to print, then they will tell me that they are able to print any document format before. What can I say...?
    Last edited by sharpmind; 05-26-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Word format (.doc) not printing in fiery (pro c7110s)

You might want to contact EFI support.

EFI - Support & Downloads

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You might want to contact EFI support.

EFI - Support & Downloads
    Best suggestion yet.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The 169.254.x.x is a Windows client generated address when there is no DHCP server available. If you're getting that as an ip address on the fiery or any Windows device then you need to switch to a static address.
    *Called APIPA - Automatic Private IP Addressing

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

For native document conversion..
    Configure native document settings
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING